Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: I have an interesting question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    19

    Default I have an interesting question

    I've gone rounds with my baby girl about a bottle..suprise, suprise right?
    She nurses really well, at 2 months she's 11.2 and was born at 7.2-never had any formula, or a pacifier. DH and I started with bottles early. Let me explain: I'd rather battle a bout of nipple confusion than a baby who won't take a bottle. And that's just me-if somebody disagrees, that's OK. We first tried Avent, but like many newborns (she was 3 weeks old) Avent gagged her because it is so long. So, then a few days later we tried again with the bottle, we used the Playtex nurser. She did so-so with it. Then the researching began: Bisphenol-A. Like any other concerned parent, I read up about it, I guess, mainly I was in shock that the FDA/CDC and AAP were allowing manufacturer's to place a hormone disrupter into our children essentially. I went and bought some glass nursers and siliskins (gotta see these, they are too cool). My daughter likes the regular silicone nipple. The problem is: Now she has a VERY sloppy latch, she's rolling her top lip in and "inhaling" me. It's not really painful, not really comfortable either. So now, I'm at a loss. What standard nipple is good transition for breastfed babies? I know some babies like Nuk, Comfi, and No-Drip Nuby nipples.. But, I'm going to be honest, we've spent so much on just bottles, that it's making formula costs look cheap. With our oldest, she took Avent then went right to Playtex, she also chose the bottle over me at 10 months and never nursed again.

    Does anybody else think that possibly the BPA thing is just a *ploy* by enviromental groups? My hubby does.

    At this point I'm confused about it all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: I have an interesting question

    that is an interesting ?...
    If baby is getting just a few bottles a day the risk would be less then a baby that was only on the bottle...
    IMO..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in flip-flops
    Posts
    1,308

    Default Re: I have an interesting question

    I don't think it's a ploy. I believe it is against the law in other countries.

    I am quite puzzled that you would choose nipple confusion again after being refused for the bottle by your first child.

    We had success in resolving nipple confusion/flow preference with the Breastflow bottles. They have BPA in the BOTTLE, but I wonder if you could screw the silicone nipple (2 nipples, actually) onto a glass bottle or rig it up some other way to use a different bottle with it.

    L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: I have an interesting question

    heres a good link
    http://www.greenlivingonline.com/Fam...y-baby-bottle/

    that says:
    Clear silicone bottle nipples and pacifiers are safer than plastic or latex ones.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: I have an interesting question

    Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I am quite puzzled that you would choose nipple confusion again after being refused for the bottle by your first child.

    We had success in resolving nipple confusion/flow preference with the Breastflow bottles. They have BPA in the BOTTLE, but I wonder if you could screw the silicone nipple (2 nipples, actually) onto a glass bottle or rig it up some other way to use a different bottle with it.

    Hmmm, I never implied discust with her weaning @ 10 months, either. I do think that bf'ing is best but am not so into nursing for over a year. Plus, I don't have a regular job where I am *entitled* to the right to pump when I need, so 10 months (however little it may seem to others) is a big deal to me.

    I don't think it's nipple confusion either. She still wants to nurse and occasionally refuses the bottle altogether, I just wondered if there was a nipple for the standard bottle that was good for Bf'd babies, or if I should just forget it and go back to the others that conatain BPA. BTW- we did breastflow, I hated it and baby wouldn't go near it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in flip-flops
    Posts
    1,308

    Default Re: I have an interesting question

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn82 View Post
    Hmmm, I never implied discust with her weaning @ 10 months, either. I do think that bf'ing is best but am not so into nursing for over a year. Plus, I don't have a regular job where I am *entitled* to the right to pump when I need, so 10 months (however little it may seem to others) is a big deal to me.

    I don't think it's nipple confusion either. She still wants to nurse and occasionally refuses the bottle altogether, I just wondered if there was a nipple for the standard bottle that was good for Bf'd babies, or if I should just forget it and go back to the others that conatain BPA. BTW- we did breastflow, I hated it and baby wouldn't go near it.
    OK, thanks for clarifying. Hope you find what you need.

    L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: I have an interesting question

    I have to start out by saying that I'm a moderate. I don't usually get too riled up about the media hype about things. There are many, many children that have used plastic bottles and are fine. Yes, there is a risk, but you lower your risk by not using them all the time.

    My youngest never did take a bottle, as much as we tried. Yes, it would have been nice to be away from him for a date night once in a while...I would have done anything for him to take a bottle occasionally. I say that if you find a bottle that works, go with that. And, any breastfeeding you do, whether direct or pumped milk, is a plus. I think it's great you made it to 10 months with your older child.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: I have an interesting question

    We used the playtex silicone with the slow output, my son seems to like that one because he has to work just as hard as if he were BF.
    Kelly

    Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

    "To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,018

    Default Re: I have an interesting question

    You might be relieved to know:
    Playtex nursers with the liners do not contain BPA. So, why not just use those?
    Another option for a wide mouth nipple and BPA-free combo is the BornFree brand.

    I plan to use the Playtex nursers for the new baby during the day when I go back to work.

    Interestingly, my DD also started refusing the bottle altogether at about 10-11 months (and was also using the playtex bottle). My 10-mo. old niece is refusing her Playtex nursers at daycare lately too.

    I also don't think the BPA thing is a ploy.

    Molly

    Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    19

    Wink Re: I have an interesting question

    Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    You might be relieved to know:
    Playtex nursers with the liners do not contain BPA. So, why not just use those?
    Another option for a wide mouth nipple and BPA-free combo is the BornFree brand.

    I plan to use the Playtex nursers for the new baby during the day when I go back to work.

    Interestingly, my DD also started refusing the bottle altogether at about 10-11 months (and was also using the playtex bottle). My 10-mo. old niece is refusing her Playtex nursers at daycare lately too.

    I also don't think the BPA thing is a ploy.

    She refused Playtex...
    Once she rejected Avent and NUK, I thought surely she'd take those so I stocked up on liners and kits...blah..what an idiot. I did find one though that she is taking with sucess. Dr. Brown's Nipples fit standard nursers, I do have an OALD so..slow flow is almost too slow for her, or what she's used to. So we are contimplating going up in flow to keep her happy. We'll see. Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions. We are sticking with Glass for now. I just got some more Siliskins so I don't have to worry about breaks at her daycare.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •