Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation?

Default Constipation?

My DD (7.5 mo and on solids 2x per day) is having problems with bowel movements...I think. Previously, she had gone about a week without a bm so I fed her prunes and that did the trick. I asked doc about it and he said that a bf baby can go up to 2 weeks without a bm. So, we've just been going along as usual. Today shd had a bm and it was hard, but not pellet like, just one long piece...hmmm....but she never really acts like her tummy hurts or that she is uncomfortable. Today she played and laughed all day, no problems at all. What is the best thing to give her to help? I don't want to do anything that will be harsh on her little tummy, but I don't want her to be stopped up.
    TIA

Default Re: Constipation?

If it's not hard pellets, but still soft-ish, she's a-okay. I understand the anxiety, but the best thing to do is watch her and if it does get hard, pull back on the solids
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

If she's not uncomfortable, then just keep a close eye on it for now. What is she eating?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

It wasn't pellets, but was one piece, that's what's confusing to me. It was kind of hard. I wasn't home when it happened. I was at work. I came home and there were two dirty diapers on the bathroom floor. I asked DH what happened and he said she started to go in the bathtub. So he got her out and laid her down, put a diaper under her and she went. He said she cried as she poopied. Like I said, she doesn't seem to have tummy aches with constipation. She has been eating about a jar of stage 2 foods fruit at lunch and meats/veggies at dinner.
    I don't want to cut her solids that much. She does have water with meals...what does get in her mouth. Should I offer some diluted juice? Anything else that I ccould give her to help??

IF you are really worried, try prunes or plums in the baby food jars. That is what we did when it got kind of hard. We also cut out the solids for a few days and upped the liquids. We are going fine now...

I wouldn't worry about it too much... keep an eye on her and see what her next few BMs look like. Also, frequency doesn't have much to do with constipation, it's the hardness of the stool that is an indicator. And it is very normal for babies to cry during a normal BM.

And I have read that pears actually have more fiber than other foods commonly used for constipation, if you want to try incorporating pears or a pear/prune blend into her diet.