Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Milk - HELP ME!!!

Default No Milk - HELP ME!!!

I need help! My son is 5 weeks old. I had problems with BF from the get-go. Initially in the hospital he had a good latch. My second night in the hospital my son would nurse for 10 minutes, fall asleep and wake up and cry again in 20 minutes. At 4:30a the nurse came in to check on me and found me crying. I was tired and couldnt understand why my baby boy was SCREAMING with hunger. I told her I was feeding him constantly, but couldnt satisfy him. She checked the latch and it looked fine. SHe took him to the nursery for 1 1/2 hours because she insisted I get sleep and fed him a bottle. When she brought him back at 6:00a, she said he was starving and scarefed down the bottle. The next day she scheduled a visit with the lacation consultant and we discovered he had a short frenulum. Long story short, the frenulum was fixed at 4 1/2 weeks old. I have been pumping and I am only getting 1 ounce in 24 hours both breast combined!!!! I am so distraught and ready to completely give up. Problem is I cry every day because I am unable to breast feed my baby, I know that is whats best! I met with a lacation consultant at my hospital and the only suggestions she could give me where pump every two hours and take the herbal supplement "More Milk Plus' - neither of which are helping. Any suggestions!!????? Help!!!

Default Re: No Milk - HELP ME!!!

What a rough start, Mama!....slow down...calm down. You have come to the right place.....I'm nursing and can only type with one hand. Will be back!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    What a rough start, Mama!....slow down...calm down. You have come to the right place.....I'm nursing and can only type with one hand. Will be back!

I agree - one step at a time...

What has baby been nursished with up to this point?
    Is he taking the breast at all?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yes - his latch is pretty good. I dont get much pain (slightly sore every so often) and I am on my FIFTH formula. My baby is severliy colicy and has been projectile vomitting everything. AGain, adds to my heart ache because i know if I could breast feed - most of his problems would be solved. I haved tried Enfamil LIPIL, Similac, Good Start, Enfamil Gentlease, and as of yesterday per the pediatrician Enfamil Nutramigen (started because the doctor is trying to rule out allergy to cows milk).

So he will nurse on your breast? ans also take formula? About how much from each??

We'll do all we can to help you with this mama

Also - have you contacted a LLL leader?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yes, he will latch and take a bottle (Lucky me!!! )..... When i went back to a lactation consultant a few weeks after Camerons birth, when we weighed him before and after a feeding - he didnt get anything. The core of my problem is not Cameron but me. I just am not producing enough milk - and I am not sure what to do. The lactation consultant seemed concerned by the fact that I didnt have any breast changes during pregnancy. And after my vaginal delivery - I NEVER got full breasts and my size never went up. It's almost as if my body didnt realize it was time to make milk. When I saw a lactation consultant in the hospital before i was discharged - they were alarmed that I was unable to express anything. I wasnt seeing any colostrum, and was unable to manually, or with hospital grade pump get any milk. I finally got a few drops 5 days later and the supply has only increased slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by First Time Mommy View Post
    Yes, he will latch and take a bottle (Lucky me!!! )..... When i went back to a lactation consultant a few weeks after Camerons birth, when we weighed him before and after a feeding - he didnt get anything. The core of my problem is not Cameron but me. I just am not producing enough milk - and I am not sure what to do. The lactation consultant seemed concerned by the fact that I didnt have any breast changes during pregnancy. And after my vaginal delivery - I NEVER got full breasts and my size never went up. It's almost as if my body didnt realize it was time to make milk. When I saw a lactation consultant in the hospital before i was discharged - they were alarmed that I was unable to express anything. I wasnt seeing any colostrum, and was unable to manually, or with hospital grade pump get any milk. I finally got a few drops 5 days later and the supply has only increased slightly.

I can understand, from an "ideal' pointof view how that could be concerning but let me just say all of those things don't happen to all ladies I'm one of them... my breast size never changes during pregnancy and doesn't do anything until my milk comes in. I am never able to get anything from manual expression and only a little from a pump (but that is in the early days - I can't get squat now )

In my siggy there are some links - one of the them is to help you locate a local leader. See if you can find one, at least in your state, to ring up in the morning for a good start with some more "personal" help.

You're doing the best you can at this point. Have you evenr heard of an SNS?? See link with more info here.

What does your childs pediatrician have to say about all this?? Do they weight her on different occasions to see if at different times she might be getting something from you?

How much does she get per day of formula? How many times and for how long will you bring her to nurse?

Here is another link to look at regarding getting baby off formula supplements (not that I am suggesting at this point you try that )

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Number3 has given lots of great resources.

I would like to add that getting baby to breast as often as possible with as much skin to skin contact is crucial.

This is how women who have never even been pregnant can stimulate milk production for their adopted children.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    Number3 has given lots of great resources.

I would like to add that getting baby to breast as often as possible with as much skin to skin contact is crucial.

This is how women who have never even been pregnant can stimulate milk production for their adopted children.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

All the post are great....Feeding on demand is the best way to help with your milk supply. Good luck and keep up the good work
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!