Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baby was in NICU, how do I transition from bottle to exclusively breast feeding?

Default Re: Baby was in NICU, how do I transition from bottle to exclusively breast feeding?

KSharbin-
    Is it getting any better? We are slowly transitioning to more breastfeeding and my son's taking less from the bottle, however the pumping is still continuing. I am not quite ready to quit pumping outright, but it's getting better. Hang in there!

Default Re: Baby was in NICU, how do I transition from bottle to exclusively breast feeding?

As of now, I am only breastfeeding between bottle feedings when one starts rooting around. If I had a single baby, I would definitely be exclusively BFing...I'm just finding it too time consuming with twins.

Just wanted to say you can do it. I've got a friend whose daughter switched from 100% bottle to 100% breast. With patience and support, you'll get there.
    Good luck

Talking Re: Baby was in NICU, how do I transition from bottle to exclusively breast feeding?

I actually tried for the first time today to breastfeed both boys at the same time...other than one of them falling asleep a few minutes in AND me not having letdown, it went pretty well for my first time doubling up!!

Great to hear! Please keep us posted
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

Ksharbin & Preemie Mom - I am in the same situation (I don't have twins, so kudos to you for doing this with two babies!)
    My baby was born at 32 weeks, was in the NICU for 2.5 weeks, and has now been home for 2.5 weeks. She feeds like a champion from a bottle, but doesn't do so well BF.
    To help transition her, my LC gave me a 'plan' of BF at every feed - and giving a supplemental 1oz bottle, once my baby "gives up" on BF at each session. In addition to this, we have a 6 hour window each 24hr peiod, where I don't give any supplement. So far we haven't made it through the full 6 hour period wihout supplementing as she just gets too hungry - but we are trying!!
    It seems that the more hungry she gets, the less likely she will be to latch on - and even when she BFs for an hour, she still acts hungry and will take a bottle afterwards.

A few things that have been somewhat successes for us are:
    1 - using a breast shield - this helps her latch a lot (but not all) of the time
    2 - skin to skin - when I am topless, and she is just in a diaper, she seems to do better
    3 - having her daddy be willing to run and get a bottle in the middle of the night, when baby and I get sooooo overwhelmed that we want to throw in the towel - especially if he can feed her the bottle so I can pump (as by that time, I'm very uncomfortable as holding her close and trying to nurse is torture on my poor boobs!!)

My LC suggested doing the 6 hour 'no-supplement' window overnight (I'm guessing that is to try and make life easier for me) however, this is not working out for us. I'm so tired that I get frustrated easier, so I am going to switch to doing the 6 hour period during the day. If anyone knows any other reason why our LC would have suggested this let me know!

Good luck to you both - I know that we all need all the help and support we can get. Just reading this board gives me renewed hope that my baby and I can do this!!