Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facing Weaning- Very sad :(

Unhappy Facing Weaning- Very sad :(

My son is 15 months old and NEVER asks to nurse anymore Very rarely can I get to him nurse anymore for the last month.

I'm bipolar and have been untreated since getting pregnant with him. It's been horrible at times and ok at others, but it's getting to the point where I really need to be treated with not safe for breastfeeding medications (have been using breastfeeding safe methods up until now-but not working anymore)

I so wanted to breastfeed until AT LEAST 24 months. I'm no where NEAR my goal It just makes me sad. I'm crying as I type this. Most people don't understand cause they think you are supposed to wean at 6 mo-1 year but I feel so guilty and sad.

Just needed to vent a bit.....

Default Re: Facing Weaning- Very sad :(

15 months is FABULOUS! You should be so proud of yourself! You've made it so much further than most mothers do! I totally understand the disappointment that you have with not reaching your goal of 24 months, but you have nothing to feel guilty about so please don't. It's out of your hands. You have given your son such a great start and even allowed him to self wean on his own which is another great gift. The bond that you've created with your son will always be there. Now your focus should be on getting the right kind of meds that you need so you can continue making happy memories with him. HTH
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

This sounds like it's really rough on you, weaning before you are ready! We usually think of it the opposite way. Kids have a way of changing our expectations good or bad don't they! It's ok to feel sad, hurt and upset.
    Don't beat yourself up about it mama, 15 months of milk is such an amazing gift that you gave to your baby.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Wow Sonita...

15 months is great! I understand your disappointment but really applaud your accomplishment to date and your commitment to your overall health as that is of the utmost importance to you and your family. No matter how long you bf, your son needs YOU to be happy and healthy. Here's to you for making the tough decision but the right decision to make your health a priority so you can continue to be an awesome mom for your babe.

Just offering support and I know I would be sad now if my 15 month old weaned, I would remind myself that 15 months of nursing is a huge thing to be proud of.

You have done so well - especially considering the sacrifice of being on different meds

Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

Give yourself a big for making it 15 months.

A happy healthy momma is much better than an unhealthy nursing momma. Your DC can drink cow's milk and eat wholesome foods, don't sweat it...take care of yourself first!
    Last edited by ryans_mom; February 16th, 2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling oops

Just like all the pp's said, you should be SO proud of making it this far! Great job mama!
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

Its heartbreaking when bf doesnt go as planned. You've done an excellent job! As I always say: If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy! Take the cue from your son, he's telling you that he's ready for you to have some mommy time. Getting the meds you need will help you realize the most amazing gift you have given your son. from everyone to you!

You did such a fabulous job making to to 15 months! I did not get anywhere near that far with either of my boys. Good job mama!!!! hugs
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

I agree 15 months is awesome!

I'm not sure what your alternative treatments have consisted of, but are you taking cod liver oil?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.