Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful letdown?

Default Painful letdown?

Hello all,
    I still have the thrush. I talked to my LO's ped yesterday and he said that "he'd grow out of it" I asked about my nipples and he didn't say anything. So I called the OB that I am still seeing and she prescribed 2 Diflucan (sp?) one to take today and the other Monday. -I thought you are supposed to take more than that to help? I think I'm going to go out and get some GV to treat my LO/my nipples while I am on the meds. I've noticed lately that when I'm nursing my LO, the side that I'm not nursing on is painful when I let down. It never did that before, I don't usually feel let down. Is this related to the thrush or just something that happens sometimes??
    Andie~Wife to Arther~Mom to Alfonso and Colton~

Chomper for 6 months
    so I can go to college part-time

Default Re: Painful letdown?

Hi... new here.

It actually hurts when I let down lately, and to my knowledge I don't have thrush or anything. It just feels like burning pain at and around the nipple for a couple minutes.

I also have chapped nipples (not sure if that's the same problem you have). I use Lansinoh before and after each feeding and shower, and it helps a LOT.

That may or may not help you, but you can take it for what it's worth.

I have never had thrush thank goodness and my letdowns are always painful
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

kelly moms has some great info on thrush:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

If you haven't tried it already, you may want to ask your OB to prescribe Dr. Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment (www.drjacknewman.com - go to "Breastfeeding Help," then "Sore Nipples Handouts" and "Candida Protocol.") I'm convinced it's what finally helped me get rid of the thrush, plus it contains ingredients for bacterial infections as well which can often accompany thrush (especially if your nipples are/were cracked). I used that for a couple of weeks along with wiping my nipples with a combination of vinegar and water after each feeding (I believe it was 2 tsp. vinegar to 1 cup water, then put 1/4 of the mixture in a baggy and add cotton balls. Keep the rest in the refrigerator.)
    I did get a prescription for Nystatin for my LO from the pediatrician's nurse over the phone, but didn't get much help from the pediatrician in taking it seriously since my daughter didn't have any symptoms.

I also have a painful letdown but it was more painful when I had thrush - I think it had something to do with the yeast being in the milk ducts.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thank you all! I will be talking to my OB on Tuesday.
    Andie~Wife to Arther~Mom to Alfonso and Colton~

Chomper for 6 months
    so I can go to college part-time