Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dental work and breastfeeding?

Default Dental work and breastfeeding?

I have to have some dental work done next week, and they will be using local anesthesia... When I called to schedule the appointment they asked if I was nursing, and when I said yes the dentist recommended that I not breastfeed for one day after the appointment! I think I read on kellymom.com that it's OK to BF after dental work but have any of you had experience with this? I really do not like the idea of not nursing for 24 hours plus I don't have a stock built up in our fridge/freezer.

Thanks!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Default Re: Dental work and breastfeeding?

Ignore it! There is very little that should make a woman stop breastfeeding. Many women breastfeed immediately after surgeries with no problem. It's kindof an old wive's tale (or, more accurately, old doctor's tale) come back from the formula-ridden days when women were routinely given pills to dry up their milk after childbirth and no one thought a baby could survive on breastmilk alone. Here's what Dr. Newman says on the issue:

"Drugs for general anaesthesia will get into the milk in only tiny amounts (like all drugs) and are extremely unlikely to cause any effects on your baby. They usually have very short half lives and are eliminated extremely rapidly from your body. You can breastfeed as soon as you are awake and up to it."

If it were me I'd even print out that page (http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=65&Itemid=94) and highlight the part at the bottom if the dentist doesn't believe it. I'd probably even give him a copy of one of Dr. Newman's books. *grin*
    Last edited by Iryssa; February 15th, 2008 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iryssa View Post
    If it were me I'd even print out that page (http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=65&Itemid=94) and highlight the part at the bottom if the dentist doesn't believe it. I'd probably even give him a copy of one of Dr. Newman's books. *grin*

LOL I like the way you think

I think doctors say this sometimes as a "just in case" but don't realize the harm that not BF for 24 hours can do.
    Dr. Thomas Hale's info (which you found on Kellymom) and Dr. Jack Newman's info (which a PP supplied - thanks) are excellent references.
    If you are worried about it you also might ask the doctor, why they recommend not BF for 24 hours - what do they see as the risks of nursing before 24 hours. What would happen if you choose to nurse before then, have they seen adverse effects in infants? You might find that you come armed with more information than they have!
    Good luck!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I just had the first part of a crown. They used nitrous oxide and a local anesthetic. I told the dentist I was still nursing and he said it was no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by zoewmu View Post
    I just had the first part of a crown. They used nitrous oxide and a local anesthetic. I told the dentist I was still nursing and he said it was no problem.
    That's pretty much what I am having done, minus the nitrous oxide. Thanks!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Quote Originally Posted by Iryssa View Post
    Ignore it! There is very little that should make a woman stop breastfeeding. Many women breastfeed immediately after surgeries with no problem. It's kindof an old wive's tale (or, more accurately, old doctor's tale) come back from the formula-ridden days when women were routinely given pills to dry up their milk after childbirth and no one thought a baby could survive on breastmilk alone. Here's what Dr. Newman says on the issue:

"Drugs for general anaesthesia will get into the milk in only tiny amounts (like all drugs) and are extremely unlikely to cause any effects on your baby. They usually have very short half lives and are eliminated extremely rapidly from your body. You can breastfeed as soon as you are awake and up to it."

Thanks - I'm not even having general anesthesia, just a local injection, so I can't imagine why they think that would be a problem. I'll ask when I'm at the appointment, but if I can enlighten him maybe it will prevent future moms from following his (well-intentioned but misinformed) advice!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09