Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desperate for help

Question Desperate for help

I am at a loss and don't know what else to do. I just don't understand why breastfeeding is so hard for me. I chose formula with my 1st from day 1. So I went with it with my 2nd too and then decided to try breastfeeding a few weeks in but I had waited too long and had no idea what I was doing so it didn't last more than a week. With my 3rd I wanted to breastfeed. It never went well. My supply never was enough. I tried everything except prescription medication to up my supply and by 5 months he had fallen off the growth chart entirely and I gave up and switched to formula. So with my 4th and last I wanted desperately for it to work. And it went great in the beginning. But now he's 11 weeks and it's so bad I want to quit daily. He slowly started nursing less and less and was nursing as little as 4 mins total from both sides. And absolutely freaking out if I tried to get him to nurse longer. I've gotten him to nurse better over the last couple weeks (it varies from 9 to 20 mins total now) but he's still not nursing enough. I have a scale at home to keep track of his weight and he's gained nearly nothing in 2 weeks. I don't respond to pumping. He won't nurse longer to up my supply. He gets so frustrated nursing after my let down slows that he just won't do it after a few sucks. The doctors say he has reflux and severe colic. He has cried more than he doesn't since day 1. It was so weird to have this 1 day old baby would never stopped crying unless he was nursing. No one visiting could even hold him for a few mins before handing him back because he was screaming. And while he's a little better, he still cries, A LOT. I'm exhausted and just want nursing to work but I'm at a loss at what to do to make it better.

Default Re: Desperate for help

Hi and welcome.

It can be alarming when weight gain appears to plateau in a baby this young. But the first thing to figure out is why this might be happening and if it the gain is actually abnormal rather than just a blip. Weight gain is rarely steady and many babies slow down in gain at around 3 months of age.

Are you able to see a board certified lactation consultant? (IBCLC?) She can help you figure out 1) if there really is a problem and 2) If there is, what it is and 3) how to fix it.

with MaddieB. Can you tell us more about how you are weighing baby? Are you using a digital baby scale, accurate to the 1/10th of an oz, or are you using a kitchen scale, or are you stepping on a bathroom scale with baby in your arms?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with MaddieB. Can you tell us more about how you are weighing baby? Are you using a digital baby scale, accurate to the 1/10th of an oz, or are you using a kitchen scale, or are you stepping on a bathroom scale with baby in your arms?

I bought a digital baby scale that I use.

And as far as I know, and Google knows, there's only 1 LC (IBCLC) in my area and she has been no help to me. She just isn't friendly and doesn't seem to want to really help.