Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What do you do?

Default What do you do?

In the morning when you are getting ready and your lo gets up and is crying. DS has been getting up lately right as I am getting up, or in the shower or attempting to get ready. How do you meet his and your needs and maintain a decent work schedule. I felt awful this am, I was exhausted and he got up while I was in the shower and I continued to get ready.... Once I was at a poitn where I could manage both I went and got him and he was his normal self once I soothed him but I can't help but feel guilty, that's the longest i have let him cry for. He's at that mobile age where he gets into everything and is going to get hurt if I am not keeping a close eye and I am at a point with work where I have to be here on time and looking presentable.... How do you do it?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Default Re: What do you do?

I admit it.....and I don't regret it........3 words.....Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

I use it and it works and I can go potty and brush my hair. I just keep an eye on him from the bathroom, sometimes he joins me in the laundry room while I iron. He def gets into stuff, it isnt fullproof. In fact last week he put my shirt in the toilet...I changed outfits.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I've switched to mostly taking showers at night and only shower in the morning if DH is still around and can play with DS (or help DS get ready). And I do as much prep the night before as possible. So my morning routine is now very short ... which means less time for DS to get into mischief.

By the time we leave the house it's often quite a mess because DS has been "helping" me get ready by taking things out of dresser drawers and bringing them to other places in the house.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    I've switched to mostly taking showers at night and only shower in the morning if DH is still around and can play with DS (or help DS get ready). And I do as much prep the night before as possible. So my morning routine is now very short ... which means less time for DS to get into mischief.

By the time we leave the house it's often quite a mess because DS has been "helping" me get ready by taking things out of dresser drawers and bringing them to other places in the house.
    I do shower at night too, and Gage loves to help.....esp if it means putting things in the toilet!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

When I was still working, Magnolia did the same thing. As soon as I attempted to get in the shower, she would wake up (and it was too early for her to be up for the day).

What I finally ended up doing, and what worked like a charm for us, was waking up 15 minutes earlier than I used to, turning on the shower immediately (at which point she would wake up), go into her room w/o lights or talking, nurse her, lay her back down and then go take my shower and get ready. Most of the time she'd go back to sleep and I'd have to wake her up to get her ready, nurse, breakfast, etc., but even if she didn't, she'd lay there quietly until I went to get her.

[QUOTE=lsksam;441350]I've switched to mostly taking showers at night and only shower in the morning if DH is still around and can play with DS (or help DS get ready). And I do as much prep the night before as possible. So my morning routine is now very short ... which means less time for DS to get into mischief.QUOTE]

I do the exact same thing. Except if I HAVE to take a shower in the morning, I put my LO in her bouncer to entertain her. I also put her in there when I need to do my hair and put makeup on.

Does your LO have something or somewhere you can put him in while you shower and/or get ready? (bouncer, activity center/chair, playpen, etc.)

Life is MUCH different now for me having to get ready for work now that I have a LO. I used to be able to shower, put makeup on, blowdry/straighten my hair, eat breakfast, AND get dressed before my baby came each morning. Now I have to bathe and blowdry hair at night. And in the morning, I have to find a "place" for her while I do the rest.

It's doable! Good luck!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Sad to say but on the nights when I know I have to work the next day I wash the bottles and pump from that days use to let them dry overnight, pack the diaper bag and get bottles for DD ready and breakfast and lunch for DS ready then I go to bed (like 8:30) then the alarm goes off at 5:30 that way I'm completely ready and doing the final packing of the bags by 6:10 when I need to get the kids up and ready to go. It is freaking early but at least I can get everything done HTH
    I'm Christina
    Wife to Drew 11/16/02 Mother to Benjamin Patrick 2/24/06 and Elizabeth Victoria 5/4/07
    http://tac.families.com/ezb/967846.png

Don't feel bad about letting your LO cry. Crying will not hurt him. You will not be able to be there for all the things in his life that will make him cry. The fact that you are concerned about it at all just shows what a wonderful mother you are. You need to be able to get yourself ready, and he needs to learn that he can stay in the crib for a few minutes without your attention.

You're doing a terrific job. Don't worry about it.

Thanks everyone! I have tried to put on the tv, he is interested for like 2 seconds and then wants to be right with me, which would be fine if I weren't running around like a crazy lady. When I first came back to work I did the shower at night thing, I just can't function that way. So I am hoping that his sleep pattern will come back but for now I just keep rolling with it and trying something new each time to see what works and what doesn't!

I do thank you all for your help! It gave me some ideas! Plus it's nice to know you are not alone!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Quote Originally Posted by oncall24-7 View Post
    Sad to say but on the nights when I know I have to work the next day I wash the bottles and pump from that days use to let them dry overnight, pack the diaper bag and get bottles for DD ready and breakfast and lunch for DS ready then I go to bed (like 8:30) then the alarm goes off at 5:30 that way I'm completely ready and doing the final packing of the bags by 6:10 when I need to get the kids up and ready to go. It is freaking early but at least I can get everything done HTH
    Same here, but I am up at 5 so that I can leave at 7. I prep as much as I possibly can at night. It kills me to have to get up an hour earlier than I used too, but you do what you have to do. And yeah motherhood is REALLY exhausting. But you can still keep your .