Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watermelon!?!?

Default Re: Watermelon!?!?

bummer!!! you'll have to stay away from
    Cantaloupe, casaba melon, cucumber, honeydew melon, Persian melon, pumpkin, squash they are all related to watermelon.

If you have any or can get some from your ped, Zrytec would really help her to feel better!

Topical benadryl cream - available OTC - also works wonders. It *really* reduces itchiness. I use it myself for an awful allergic reaction I get semi-regularly. I haven't checked the PDR on this, but I would guess (maybe that's not the best idea...) that topical benadryl is OK for babies since oral benadryl is. Just don't get the double strength stuff... sorry you are going through this!!
    -Linda
    Last edited by jsmom; July 9th, 2006 at 08:50 PM.

Oh wow, I had no idea that all of those were related to watermelon!! I feel so bad because she liked it sooooo much!

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio
    bummer!!! you'll have to stay away from
    Cantaloupe, casaba melon, cucumber, honeydew melon, Persian melon, pumpkin, squash they are all related to watermelon.
    I have heard about the topical benadryl, I may try that tomorrow if it still looks bad. I soaked her in an oatmeal bath this morning and applied the hydrocortisone cream, it looks a lot better. I'm sure it would look 100% better if I could get her to leave it alone!

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Talking Re: Watermelon!?!?

Watermelon was the first food (okay, still the only food just yet!) my DD grabbed for and decided to try out. She seems to really love it. We are going to try out avacado and sweet potatoes next, as soon as we get over some milk supply issues. I'm glad someone posted this, as I've been wondering if it was an okay first food as well. I even googled it as a baby food, and didn't find a thing on it being given as one of baby's first solids.

See ... Adeline's Adventures In Watermelon

And all the cute pictures of us eating our watermelon together ... here.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

That was very cute!

Amber, someone in baby group asked if your child showed signs of food allergies what were you to do and we were told wait a few weeks and try again! Especially if they are breastfed....has anyone else heard this? Her daughter's eyes swelled up as did the rest of her face from peas. there may be hope for your lil sweetpeas love for watermellon after all!

Def would NOT give the peas again as any face swelling could mean that the throat is swelling also Every reaction can get worse so I would not give those again until after you see an allergist, she may also want to ring her ped to make them aware, sometime they will rx an Epi pen. Thanks!