Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watermelon!?!?

Default Re: Watermelon!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mami_Kathy
    I got scared when I change the diaper once b/c it look like it had blood on it but it was actually watermelon.
    lol - i did the same thing on sunday night after ds' first watermelon experience!

I really like yours also, he is really growing! Thomas is also into throwing the watermelon, or squishing it one of the two!

Quote Originally Posted by mommymilk
    My son LOVES watermelon. I actually cut it into chunks, freeze it, and then give it to him as a nice teether. Feels great on the gums and tastes good! He is cutting 6 teeth right now! Yikes!
    What a GREAT idea! And Yay! it sounds like we found a winner! I have concerns about him having allergies after the unexplained hives episode So we'll hold off on all things acidic and all things exotic for now! Thanks ladies! It really feels better knowing about other's experiences. This 1st food stuff can be kinda worriesome!

How funny to find this post. Watermelon is definitely one of my 13-month-old DS's favorite foods. He would have it at every meal if we let him! LOL

Thanks to the PP who suggested freezing chunks of it. DS is teething something fierce and I bet he'd like that. What size pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Brittan
    Thomas is also into throwing the watermelon, or squishing it one of the two!

yes.... indeed! squishing melon - whatever flavor is within reach - is great fun at the moment. It's particularly charming when it then gets handed right to my face for ME to eat... and you know, I'm such a sucker for this cuteness that sometimes I actually do eat it right from his sticky fingers....

BUT....added note....cold melon pieces and cold slices of cucumber are REALLY big hits when teething is at its worst. J just loves to knaw on these things... he likes them and they probably also offer some comfort!
    -linda

dd hates watermelon. with a passion. just spits it out!!! but she loves broccoli-go figure!!
    i am really paranoid about choking-- is it safe to give whole blueberries, or should i mash them first? dd is 11.5 months?. what size pieces of melon do you offer your little ones?

It's suggested that blueberries be mashed somewhat. I've actually cut them into pieces, not that J will have anything to do with them at this point! For melon, I typically give small slices - maybe about an inch square and abouat 1/4 inch thick? J likes to gnaw/chimpmunk chew on the slices starting with his front teeth and then mashing with his new set of molars... you can make the squares much smaller, of course, if baby typically is pushing whole chunks into her mouth and mashing away! And you're not alone; DS loves broccoli, too! Another current favorite is snap peas - the outsides in particular!
    good luck!
    linda

After reading this thread, I was SO excited to try watermelon as DD's new food this week. She absolutely loved it. But, after waking up this morning to my poor DD broken out in hives on her face, I can say we won't be trying that again for a VERY long time!! Guess we've found the first solid she's allergic to!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Poor girl Was there anything else new? Sunscreen, food, etc?? Sometimes we never find out the cause of those hives.... If Watermelon was the only newbie then I would def steer clear of that.

Hi Brittan! Nope, watermelon was the only new item introduced to DD in any way. Poor girl, evidently the hives are itchy too, I can't keep her hands away from her face. I had to put some hydrocortisone on her just to let her skin try to rest and heal!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)