Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watermelon!?!?

Default Watermelon!?!?

Hi Ladies!
    So after a couple weeks of DJ spitting out anything I offered him or the only thing NOT going in his mouth is the finger foods I'm trying to get him to try, yesterday at a 4th BarBQUE we found something! Watermelon! he sucked on it, bit into it and seemd to chew it! I tried again today with similiar results. But I've never seen anyone talk about it here and I haven't seen it listed on any baby 1st food lists. Is there anything I need to know? Any reason I should shy away? The way he responded (And DIDN'T respond to Bananas, bread, cheerios or sweet potatoes) I was thinking of trying more fresh fruits. Like plums and pineapple and perhaps some other melons. Does anyone have experience with any of these fruits or know of any reason why we shouldn't try?

Default Re: Watermelon!?!?

I don't have any medical knowledge about this, but I can tell you that my son has had (and loves) watermellon, blueberries, avacado, canteloupe (sp?) and peaches. I'm going to try plums and mango this weekend. He's 9 mos old, has not had any allergic reactions and eats almost anything... One warning though - you may find major changes in your DS's diaper as he eats the different fruits, especially the blueberries!

Good luck, Sarah

How about yellow squash? Max loved watermelon and cantaloupe. Jackson is going to try plums tonight!

My son loves watermelon and never had a reaction to it, although I got scared when I change the diaper once b/c it look like it had blood on it but it was actually watermelon. But I also heard of some babies having reaction to it, but if your didn't it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know about the pineapple, the acid from it might be a little too strong for a baby tummy, but that's just my opinion.

My ds is 9 months old and he loves watermellon and had no reaction to it the first time he ate it. I will say that my pediatrician said to stay away from citrus fruits for now b/c of allergies. I would shy away from pineapple. My son also loves canteloupe, honeydew, strawberries, blueberries and bananas. My son did not like any fruits to start with but I just kept pushing them (mix them with cereal) and now he loves them. Just keep trying!

Ds loved watermelon. It was one of his first foods. Now, he sucks the juice out, but won't actually eat it. He's 14.5 mo now.

I've heard watermelon has iron in it, so that's good to know it's not just sugar. lol

As for other melons, cantalope is great. But honeydew did make ds have a really bad tummyache the first time he ate it (I don't think he's ever tried it again since). It think it was the high sugar content?

Smile Re: Watermelon!?!?

My little guy loves watermelon too. I cut a thin sliver and hold the rind and he just sucks and bites at it. He did have a problem with cantalope, had diarrhea the next day and was cranky so I haven't given it to him since.

I ditto holding off on the pineapple because of citrus fruits being too acidic for their little bellies. Also strawberries can be considered a high allergen and is often recommended that we wait until the yr mark for them.

Good Luck.

Deb

My son LOVES watermelon. I actually cut it into chunks, freeze it, and then give it to him as a nice teether. Feels great on the gums and tastes good! He is cutting 6 teeth right now! Yikes!

My ds did not have an issue with watermelon, will not eat it now but LOVED it a few weeks ago. Some good advice though, is to stay away from all exotic fruits until after a year, they all pose a pretty high allergy issue. Some examples that I know of would be
    kiwi
    strawberries
    mango
    raspberries
    etc...

I wish J would like watermelon! Right now he just likes tossing it off his tray and listening to it land with a splat on his mats! Honeydew and canteloupe, however, are currently a hit. We've had no reactions to these, as far as I can tell.

Brittan - love the new pic of Thomas!
    -Linda