Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating the same food every day...okay?

Default Eating the same food every day...okay?

My daughter is 10 1/2 months old and is really picky. She eats a yo baby yogurt and half a banana for breakfast every morning, hommus mixed with avocado or carrots for lunch or dinner, and then maybe some annie's mac and cheese or a little of what we eat at dinner. Is it okay that she eats the same thing for breakfast every morning? And is it okay that she eats so much hommus? I try new things but get sooooo frustrated when she refuses them. I think I have gotten lazy about trying new things because she refuses almost everything. Any suggestions for new foods that she can pick up or that are similar in consistancy to bananas, hummus, and yogurt? Thanks! (She still nurses around 6 times a day but I am planning on cutting down on her feedings within the next couple of months)

Default Re: Eating the same food every day...okay?

My only recommendation is to keep trying new foods, babies palates change so often that they might act like they don't like something one day and the next day it might become their favorite food. My LO wouldn't eat anything slimy for a while and now he'll eat just about anything...it was more of a texture thing than anything else.
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

what i've learned is, just keep introducing the same new food... she'll try it... its just so foreign that shes a little bit scared... let her explore it more than once before just throwing it out, thinking she wont eat it.

I've read that it can take anywhere from 10-25 times of introducing a food before your child may accept it. It sounds like your daughter does have a very healthy diet, but some variatian would be nice for both of you.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    I've read that it can take anywhere from 10-25 times of introducing a food before your child may accept it.
    I've heard that, too, and I really think that it's true. My LO absolutely hated some foods when I first introduced them, avocado being one of them, but now it's one of his favourite foods!

I think it's pretty normal for a 10 month old to have narrow food preferences and to be very cautious about accepting new foods. Think about it- if babies ate every single thing they could get their hands on, they'd probably poison themselves in a big hurry! It's for the best that they are so careful, IMHO. I think your daughter's diet sounds really good- yoghurt, fruit, beans, veggies... Nothing that's overloaded with sugar or bad fats.

Since your daughter will eat hummus, how about blending some new tastes into it? Pureed red pepper, cooked spinach, maybe a little cottage cheese?

Hi, Just wanted to say my 10.5 mo old is the same! Yours actually east more stuff than mine will. Right now mine only likes squash & sweet potato's. Sometimes she will take to other stuff. I thinks it so true about keep offering things and eventually they will take it. As long as she is happy and growing I wouldnt worry to much. Just be open and patient. Atleast thats what I am doing.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Thanks for all of your advice. I tried some apples mixed with blueberries today and some oatmeal mixed with peaches yesterday and she ate it! I learned that if I hand her a spoon to hold on to herself that she is more willing to open her mouth and let me feed her even if it is something new! I am going to make sure that I keep trying new things, even if it takes several tries. Thanks for the little push!

Mixing new things into the already accepted foods is a good idea. My son wouldn't eat any fruit when we first introduced solids and I started mixing some pureed fruits into his vegetable purees. In time I slowly changed the amount of fruit and now he eats all kinds of fruits. Some pureed beef in the hummus for instance may be a good start both in terms of introducing some different tastes and increasing the iron in her food.