Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastmilk vs. Formula

Question Breastmilk vs. Formula

I am pumping and storing breastmilk, but I can't seem to keep up my supply in the freezer!! My 8 wk old eats every 1.5 to 2 to 3 hours during the day, so when we go out I like to bring a bottle- can I use formula when we are out and about??
    I want to know if it is ok for her- if not- I will not consider doing it-
    Thank you!!

Default Re: Breastmilk vs. Formula

Hi,

The thing is, if you are concerned about your supply, using formula or even your own expressed breast milk in a bottle will interfere. That is, unless you have a pumping session each time you have a bottle feeding. Even then, pumps are not as savvy as removing milk from the breast as your baby is, so that could be questionable too. Not to mention that the many benefits of breastmilk far outweigh formula feeding which is why the AAP reccomends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months (until solids are introduced).

That said, it sounds like you are nervous about breastfeeding in public. I don't blame you. I was SOOOO nervous about that with my first. It can be very intimidating if you've never done it before and until you get the hang of it. Do you know any other nursing moms who could help? Could you attend a local LLL meeting to get to know some other nursing moms and see how others deal with this? Nursing in public can be done discreetly and without incident. And the best part is, the more you do it, the more confident you become.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Breast milk is best, you can read it on any formula container.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Using formula will mess with your supply... you might want to try pumping more often and just creating more of a stash, if that makes any sense... If you nurse on one side, pump the other side.

Also, if it's about nursing in public, try practicing nursing in front of a mirror at home... that way, you can get confident in your nursing skills and you may not be so nervous about nursing away from home.

Good luck to you!

Jacqui

I wouldn't recommend formula, because it's likely to constipate her and upset her stomach.

You don't have to breastfeed *in* public. You could retreat to a dressing room, a quiet corner of the store or restaurant, or even your vehicle.

That being said, many mothers find that it is VERY easy to nurse in public (once you get the hang of it ). In fact, you can be so discreet that most people will not even notice that you're nursing at all! A nursing baby looks the same as a sleeping baby.

If you're looking for tips on breastfeeding discreetly, you might visit the nursing in public section of this board. Here's some information to get you started:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/discreet.html

Is your goal to nurse exclusively? Are you hoping to use combination (both formula and breastmilk) feeding in the future? Ask yourself these questions. Feeding formula and breastmilk is possible, but it is important to realize that the two aren't always mutually compatable. Your breastfeeding goals will help you determine what is right for your baby!

If you choose to use formula supplements when away from home, ask your doctor which formula to use. And do try it at home first to check for a reaction.

Good luck to you!