Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Flax seed oil

Default Flax seed oil

Has anyone tried flax seed oil for constipated baby? I read this and wanted to try it. I use to take it myself and it helped me a lot with menstrual issues. Can I give it to baby and take it too?
    TIA

Default Re: Flax seed oil

I gave it (3/4ths tsp) when my ds was 1 year old, thinking he may have been constipated and he got a terrible stomach ache - never thought of trying ever since.

Do you think your baby is currently constipated?

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    Do you think your baby is currently constipated?
    Yes, she is contipated because she does not go on her on upwards of two weeks at a time. Her doctor prescribed Glycolax and I really don't like using it. Wanted to know of some natural methods. I heard of 1 tsp. of flax oil/day since she does not like juice and the apples and pears are not working.

How old is she? I had not heard that apples would help with constipation, but pears are supposed to. Also peaches, apricots, and prunes. For ds, grapes always get him pooping, though we have never had constipation problmes, so this is not always a good thing! lol

Depending on her age, you could try yogurt; it makes some babies poop.

If she's eating a lot of solids, you may want to offer some extra water on a regular basis. Does she currently drink any water at all?

Of course, avoid the usual suspects: rice cereal, cheese, etc.

The very best thing is of course breastmilk and lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    How old is she? I had not heard that apples would help with constipation, but pears are supposed to. Also peaches, apricots, and prunes. For ds, grapes always get him pooping, though we have never had constipation problmes, so this is not always a good thing! lol

Depending on her age, you could try yogurt; it makes some babies poop.

If she's eating a lot of solids, you may want to offer some extra water on a regular basis. Does she currently drink any water at all?

Of course, avoid the usual suspects: rice cereal, cheese, etc.

The very best thing is of course breastmilk and lots of it.
    She is 7 months. she only eats about 1 oz of solids per day if that. I make her food and we have tried rice, apples, sweet potatoes, bananas, pears, apricots and potatoes this week. I bought prunes to make so I will try that. She will drink water if I take her outside for a while in the hot sun, otherwise she only will take breastmilk from a drinking vessel weird huh?