Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible that milk won't come in?

Default Possible that milk won't come in?

Ok, here's my story (sorry, it's gonna be long): I was induced at 37 weeks (due to high blood pressure) and my son was born last Th night (6/29). After the birth, I put him to my breast (and sort of got latching), but after the epidural wore off, my blood pressure stayed REALLY high. Instead of putting me on Mag Sulfate, my OB decided to knock me out with Phenergan/Stadol b/c I was upset, nauseous, and had terrible upper back pain. This worked, but of course he had to have formula b/c I was knocked out for 6 hours.

In the hospital, he had a hard time latching on with the LC (she also noticed that I had widely spaced breasts, and are uneven, and she said that I MIGHT have a problem with production), so she gave me a nipple shield- and a pump to make sure that I got stimulation. In hindsight, I did not focus on nursing nor pumping b/c of a) had to actually wrap things up at work b/c my induction was a surprise to me and b) lots of visitors. (Boy, would I like to do those first 48 hours again!!) When we left the hospital (on a Sat night at 11:30pm!!) I didn't go home with a pump. I talked about it with the LC, but for she didn't push it.

When I got home, I thought I was going to me Super Mom- I didn't read the LLL articles about not doing housework (plus we just moved and I was planning on using then next 3 weeks to unpack!) When I nursed, he wouldn't really latch on, and so then I'd try the shield and inject a little formula into the shield to start him off. I never saw the shield fill with my milk, though, so I ended up supplementing with a bottle b/c he was just still hungry after feedings.

So, with still no feeling of my milk coming in, (and lactation centers being closed for 2 days due to holiday) I called a friend on Monday, and she brought me her hospital grade rental pump. I also quit using the shield b/c I'd read somewhere that it wasn't a good idea. (I gotta stop reading). I started pumping on Monday evening, yet probably only did about 6 times. Every time I pumped, I got maybe a teaspoon out of the L and drops out of the right. I was encouraged by some latching on and sucking, but even after an hour total on both breasts, he was starving- so bottle again. I was convinced that I just wasn't producing enough milk.

Ok, so today, I went to the LC and lo and behold when I nursed him and did pre/post weighings- he didn't gain any weight. So, I got an SNS and am on double pumping duty. I've been chained to the couch all day.
    The first time with the SNS went great- he latched and took 2 oz. total of the formula. Second time, not so great- he got sleepy, wouldn't take the breast, etc. he took about an oz via SNS and then I did give about .5 oz via bottle (I know, know-- BUT - he's also jaundiced AND hasn't stooled yesterday OR today- and I'm worried about that too! We have our pedi appt tomorrow morning- he is still very arousable. )

I also started fenugreek and bitter thistle today and put a call intot the MD to ask for Reglan.

So, here I am. Unfortunately, I am a "need to see results fast" kind of person. It's like I'm expecting to just magically fill up a bottle with the pump.

LLLers- I guess my question is- will I possibly just get my milk "in", or am I in this for the long haul? When will I know if I'm part of the elusive 5% that have insufficient milk syndrome (ie how long should I dedicate all of my time and energy to this- I'm VERY willing- I want to bf SOOOO badly.) This is such a good lesson for me for learning patience, but dang is it hard!

If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading. It's been at least a little therapeutic writing it, as now I see my mistakes!!!

Jill

Default Re: Possible that milk won't come in?

Don't give up hope, yet!

I'm gathering some info for you. In the meanwhile, please do keep pumping and putting your baby to the breast.

STOP for a little while. Just focus on your precious little baby. Babies are tiny for just a little while. If you blink your eyes, you'll miss it! Stroke his soft hair. Look into his little eyes. Watch as his tiny fingers grasp yours. Place his little foot in your palm. Wiggle his little toes. Stroke his cheek and watch him turn in that direction and begin rooting. Isn't he amazing?

Every now and again, take off your top and bra. Strip your baby down to his diaper. Sit him up on your chest between your breasts. Wrap a blanket around your shoulders and cover both of you. Now, just sit back and let him be. He may actually move down towards your breast. If he does, go ahead and allow him to find the nipple and nurse (this is a natural reaction baby's have when placed upright on mom's chest). All of the above will do two things 1) help you slow down and enjoy your baby and 2) help remind your baby to nurse and help send those hormonal triggers to your brain that say "hey, we need milk!".

After you've done that, put out the word among your friends and family that you're busy focusing on your baby and keep visitors to a minimum. If they want to visit and "help", give them a task! Let them unpack something for you, do a load of laundry, or cook dinner for you. I'm serious! Let people help. If you need a shower or want to eat, let them hold the baby for you.

Thanks for your reply. I have been doing skin to skin since we got home, and have been able to relax a bit. It's now been since Wednesday with pumping, doing SNS, and taking meds and no increase. I'm starting to think it's not going to happen. Any info that you have would be welcome.

Jill

Hi I just wanted you to know that it took about 2 weeks for the Reglan to work for me. I supplemented every day till DS was 11 1/2 weeks old then he didn't need it anymore Have you tried feeding in the bathtub in warm water?? That helped me!

Thanks- did you produce any milk at all in the meantime? Did she get supplement exclusively? Were you pumping? how often? (I am getting teaspoons, if that, when I pump)

you cant measure by pumping- i couldn't even get 1 teaspoon!! and still am really lucky to get 2 oz at work!!

I always breastfed him for 20 min each side and then only offered the bottle if he was still hungry-most babies will take an extra oz or two if offered even if they are full

it was a kind of gradual increase with my milk

also i dont know if you are religious or not, or meditate or anything, but praying seemed to help me

Thanks- did your breasts ever feel full with milk? Mine never have. I just don't think any comes out. He's take do about 7-8 sucks and then maybe a swallow, and then unlatches- b/c I don't think anything is there. Sigh.....

mine haven't felt full since the first few weeks (unless I skip a feeding)

try to devote as much time to nursing as you can-i had to let everything else fall aside

have you been to the ped, how much weight has he gained etc??? you can get your supply back up and the best way is to nurse, nurse, nurse. At least every 3 hours around the clock. Once you are finished with the SNS system then you can pump. You are not really pumping to get milk out but to stimulate your breast to make milk. Pumping is not an accurate gage of what baby is getting, these little ones are so much more efficient than any pump. Do you see him swallowing when he nurses, how about his ears moving? Stay the course and your milk supply should come back up. Remember it is all supply and demand, if you do not call on your body you will not make milk. All the best!

Thanks for your response. He has been getting about 90% supplement now, so weight gain was fine at ped. I put him to the breast first, and then give supplemet. When we went to lactation consultant, they confirmed that he didn't get any milk after nursing via pre/post weigh. My milk never really started, so I'm still wondering if it's my anatomy (the first lactation consultant in the hospital noticed that I have widely spaced breasts, and she said I could have issues with supply...)