Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need a bit of encouragement

Default Re: need a bit of encouragement

watch your baby, listen to your baby. And throw all those books in the garbage!! they just cause unnecessary worry and anxiety. if you do what works for you and your baby, and the both of you are happy--then you are doing an excellent job.

you are doing an excellent job

Talking Re: need a bit of encouragement

Baby Wise might fit the needs of some people, but the friends I have who use it's ideas are people who employ different parenting stragies from those we use in our family.....SO.

Following your baby's scheule is a good thing. Nuring babies process the breast milk faster than formula fed babies, which may be part of the reason your friends children are going longer.

My son - 8 months - now goes 4 hours between nursing and food w/ breast milk in some presentation. Up to introduction of food, he nursed every 3-4 hours from 4 months on; prevous to that he was every 2-3 hours.....

He's a "big" boy, healthy and thriving.....so we're all good.

I've discovered that most people who promote thier own ways over yours might be a tad insecure wbout how your ideas challenge thiers.....just be confident in yourself and your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya's Mom
    watch your baby, listen to your baby. And throw all those books in the garbage!! they just cause unnecessary worry and anxiety. [/B][/I]
    I couldn't agree more!!!! I practically have a library of baby books, including Baby Wise which came highly recommended by men and women alike. So, I gave it a try. It lasted about three weeks. My little one stopped gaining weight, he went from the 50th percentile for weight, down to barely holding on to the 10th. The dr had us supplemeting with formula (which I despised, but just wanted my ds to gain weight). So, one day after hanging out for soooo many hours on this site, I closed all the books, quit with the formula and snuggled hours on end w/ my son and allowed him to nurse as he wanted. He put on a pound in a week!! He is now six and a half months old, still nurses about every three hours and is happy and healthy. Looking back, I can't believe I rocked, walked, bounced, etc., my baby to keep him on a "schedule" instead of nursing him. It breaks my heart, I feel so quilty, but have moved on now, and Nicholas co-sleeps and nurses when he wants. No crying, no tears, just wonderful snuggle time and a happy family! So . . .DO WHAT MAKES YOUR BABY AND YOURSELF HAPPY!

You seem to already know in your heart what is best for you and your family so just hang in there, take on the attitide you thought you never thought you could (not caring about others) and stick to your guns! YOU are a MOM!! YOU get to (and have been ) determine what is best for your baby. I am proud of you for not giving in to the book like I did.
    You are now your baby's advocate!!

Stay STRONG! YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT!

di:

Don't give up! It is worth it. My son breastfed all the time for while. They eat less later. I breastfed on demand. Babies know when they are hungry and sleepy, let them decide. It took awhile for him to sleep when we slept but he finally does. Don't give up! It is very special to breastfeed and good for your baby.