Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some advice

Default Need some advice

a little bit of history... I was on this board back at the end of 2006 trying to relactate after I had my daughter in Sept of 06. That did not work out well at all. After weeks of pumping, nursing, herbs, etc I wasn't able to get more than a few drops. I gave up. I felt guilty for many many months.

Fast forward.. I had another child Jan 17th and I have run into supply issues from day one. I don't know if it's something I did. Maybe not nursing her enough in the hospital, so my milk didn't fully come in? I have no idea. She is now 4 weeks old and I do have some milk, but not enough to satisfy her. If I pump every 2 hours I am able to get about an ounce between both breasts. If I give her a bottle I do not give her more than 2-3oz. I am trying to not overfeed her, because that will make this task a much more difficult one.

I decided to post here because I know the people who are trying to relactate are working their butts off and may have more advice on what works to increase supply.

I keep trying to make some type of log or schedule of things I need to do to keep my head straight. Currently I am waiting on Domperidone to arrive, I am hoping this helps.

I have considered pumping all day and nursing her at night so that I can get things done. I have 4 other children and the youngest being 17 months so it's hard to nurse her all day. I am concerned about her getting attached to the bottle and eventually wanting that over me. So far, so good, we haven't had that issue yet. She gets maybe 1-2 bottles a day right now and maybe 3-4oz of formula a day.

I nurse her all night, I feel like I am starving her when I do this. She doesn't scream or anything like that at night. She sucks happily and dozes in and out of sleep. Again, I am just worried she is hungry and Im denying her by having her nurse all night.

If anyone has any advice I am open to all suggestions/comments. I am beginning to get desperate. This is probably going to be my last baby (hubby says no more) and I want to be able to breastfeed atleast one of my children.

Thanks for reading,
    Jenn

Default Re: Need some advice

I don't have a lot of advice, but just want to give you some support, it sounds like you're pretty down about this.

Have you been able to have a board certified lactation consultant or a LLL leader come and take a look to see if there are any easy things you could change to get the breastfeeding itself going better?

I know for me, when I had supply issues early on, that all the pumping just got me really frustrated, and it was getting the baby to the breast as often as possible that was the most helpful. I know you said that you have other children and this is difficult, but for me, I would think nursing the baby directly would be less of a time strain during the day than pumping? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, or it's just different for you than it was for me.

If she's nursing all night, and seems content, I don't think you need to worry that your hurting her in any way. Lots of babies get a lot of their nursing done at night when they co-sleep, especially if the mom is away at work during the day - I think this is pretty normal. Is her diaper output good?

Oops, I said I wasn't going to try to give advice.

Nursing is easier.. no set up etc, but if I pump I can pump for 15 minutes every hour or two and still get up and get some stuff done. Nursing Im on the couch ALL day pretty much. Once I get things in order I guess nursing would be easier. I've been home for 3 1/2 weeks and my house has took its toll, looks like a series of tornadoes have come through. I try not to stress it, but I want a clean house again.

Her diaper output is on the low end of normal I guess. Somedays it seems like she doesn't pee enough, other days she does ok. I did the test where I put 3 tablespoons of water in a diaper and most of the time hers are just as heavy. Other times its borderline.

Hi ,

Welcome back!

It sounds like you are concerned about your milk supply, and also about how long your baby is nursing. It is important to remember that breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make. A baby who nurses "all the time" may be going through a growth spurt, or may simply have a stronger need to suck. The best way to get your milk supply well established is to nurse baby frequently during these early weeks. I know it seems like you don't get anything else done, but in the long run, once breastfeeding is well established, your milk supply will be abundant and your baby will gradually need to nurse less often.

Nursing all night long is not an indication that your milk supply is low or thta baby is starving. Again, she may just have a high need to suck. Night nursing is very good for your milk supply, because your prolactin (milk-making hormone) levels are highest at night.

Try to be patient with yourself and with your baby. You might consider enlisting the help of family and/or friends to help with household tasks, meal preparation, etc. It is also a good idea to prepare some fun, "special" toys or activites for older children to play with while baby is nursing. Set yourself up a nursing station with bottles of water, healthy snacks, and activities you are able to do with baby latched on (bills that need writing, phonecalls to return, or even a book or magazine you have been meaning to read). Some mothers have found it helpful to hire a teenager a couple of days per week to come over and spend time with older children, do laundry, or other simple jobs around the house. In the grand scheme of things, this period of time when your baby is tiny and nursing very frequently is short.

I hope that helps. Hang in there and keep us posted. You can do it, mama!

Tiana