Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: Would you go to a cozy breastfeeding cafe if the drinks were good for baby?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am not a regular cafe goer

5 35.71%
  • I dont feel confident to breast feed in public

1 7.14%
  • A cafe where women breast feed sounds too hippyish for me

1 7.14%
  • I bottle feed baby

0 0%
  • Id go if I could get my little one to latch on

6 42.86%
  • I dont go out much now that ive had baby

2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you sell breastmilk???

Lightbulb Can you sell breastmilk???

This may sound crazy... but is there a breast milk bank in Alberta Canada? Or some place you can sell your breast milk to? I have more than enough supply, and wondered if other moms needed some.
    thanks
    sincerely
    new born Mom.

Default Re: Can you sell breastmilk???

I asked the same question about milk banks. Contact HMBANA..You go through screening and you can donate milk to mommies and babies in need.
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.

I've looked into that, you cannot sell breastmilk. Its considered a bodily tissue, like blood, and it is illegal to sell it. I wish we could! Or at least get a tax break for the dollar amount that our donation is worth. But that isn't possible.

Also, I didn't see a response on the poll for yes - I'd definitely go to cafe where all the moms nurse and nurse my baby (if I'm understanding the poll correctly!)
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyChristopher View Post
    Also, I didn't see a response on the poll for yes - I'd definitely go to cafe where all the moms nurse and nurse my baby (if I'm understanding the poll correctly!)

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg

What does this poll have to do with the original question??? Sell drinks made with breastmilk? Or Just breastfeed in a public place where they sell coffee?? If it's the latter I wouldn't have to say "Breastfeeding cafe" for me to do it when I had a baby. All that would need to happen is he'd have to hungry.

Way too lazy for formula

*grin* yeah, I noticed there's no "I think it's a great idea" button in the poll! I'd have chosen that if it was there.

I think this poll goes with OP's other post regarding a breastfeeding cafe.

To answer the original question, no you cannot sell breastmilk, although people do. Its been up on Craigslist and Ebay. I do think those who donate breastmilk should get a tax break because there is a $ amount per ounce that insurance pays FOR the breastmilk from the milk bank I believe.

There isnt really a poll option that I would choose. I go to cafes with LLL members and other Moms. I nurse anywhere and I choose drinks that I know are healthy for me and my son. I don't think there needs to be specific breastfeeding cafes because why do we need to go to special locations? I do think there are and should be MORE breastfeeding-FRIENDLY cafes. Thats why I choose to nurse everywhere and anywhere. WE are the ones that make these changes. Most cafes I frequent have couches, plush chairs, etc. Thats where I choose to sit. We have had babywearing meetings and casual LLL meetings in regular cafes. If people ask what the meeting is about, we tell them. I am against having to put ourselves in certain locations to feel comfortable NIP. I worry that it will make regular Starbucks goers who are anti-NIP say "Hey, why are you nursing here? You have your OWN cafe!" Plus I think its important for women who may not have made a decision regarding breastfeeding when the time comes to have more exposure to breastfeeding. I understand that you said there will be non-BFers, but BFing supporters in the cafe. But there are people who are not lactivists but are also not anti-BF. Some girls haven't even thought about it. If we show more breastfeeding in public, I hope that it starts to show that it is normal and not something you have to do in private. We need to break down the barriers. If we're all in that breastfeeding cafe, how are we being an example?

Its something I obviously feel very passionate about.
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; February 15th, 2008 at 08:35 AM.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Oh yeah...and I think the closest milk bank for us Albertans is in Vancouver...I'd have to look that up, though, to be sure. I thought I overheard someone at a LLL meeting saying the only one in the province (in Edmonton) closed down a long time ago.

my hubby said he was reading something where theres like 11 places in usa and you have to pump it at the place after u pass disease and drug screens. im not sure if it was a pay/donate thing.
    i think it would be so sweet to donate, but i need some $ as well, and could pump up a storm if i could do it instead of going back to work tomarrow---maternity leave is officially over
    as 4 the poll-i would pump at any cafe as well, and always drink whats good for me and my 2 breastfeeders!!
    right on danlynclark---why should bf'ers be contained to a certain cafe?? it would be cool to have a special place for us, but ur right then people would want to corner us into going only there
    maybe they should have a place for only the formula fed babies to go eat, so as not to set a poor example for everyone else??!! (kinda kiding!)
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    I don't think there needs to be specific breastfeeding cafes because why do we need to go to special locations? I do think there are and should be MORE breastfeeding-FRIENDLY cafes. Thats why I choose to nurse everywhere and anywhere. WE are the ones that make these changes. Most cafes I frequent have couches, plush chairs, etc. Thats where I choose to sit. We have had babywearing meetings and casual LLL meetings in regular cafes. If people ask what the meeting is about, we tell them. I am against having to put ourselves in certain locations to feel comfortable NIP. I worry that it will make regular Starbucks goers who are anti-NIP say "Hey, why are you nursing here? You have your OWN cafe!" Plus I think its important for women who may not have made a decision regarding breastfeeding when the time comes to have more exposure to breastfeeding. I understand that you said there will be non-BFers, but BFing supporters in the cafe. But there are people who are not lactivists but are also not anti-BF. Some girls haven't even thought about it. If we show more breastfeeding in public, I hope that it starts to show that it is normal and not something you have to do in private. We need to break down the barriers. If we're all in that breastfeeding cafe, how are we being an example?