Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help

Exclamation Help

ok is it true that if your babyy is not getting wnough hind milk that all you will see is green bowel movements from him? and if it is true what is the danger or threat? what can be done to get more hind milk?

Default Re: Help

Somewhat true ... and it is NOT an emergency, so if your baby is making green poops, don't panic.

Green poops are often (but not always) caused by too much foremilk. The foremilk has less fat and thus more lactase (milk sugar) in it, and if baby's gut can't digest all the lactase easily, then he may have greenish poops. He may also have a lot of gas, general tummy-related unhappiness, and in a worst-case scenario, may not gain well over the long term. (LONG TERM -- don't panic about a 1-week weight check here.)

Can you tell us more about what you're seeing and why you think there's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance going on? If that's what it is, it's definitely fixable, but let's make sure first that this is actually the problem.

--Rebecca

Exclamation Re: Help

i think there is too much foremilk because he has ALOT of gas, when he has a bm it is ALWAYS green and gooey. by us having problems nursing and him just learning to get on the breast he is not staying on long when he gets on he goes right to sleep so i have to wake him and start over its just hard so i am still doing alot of pumping i pump 15 minutes each side every 3 hours and after he nurses i only get at the most 2 oz every session not per breast.
    what should i do?

How old is your baby?

Hi:

At the beginning I saw a lot of green poo from my dd as well. She would fall asleep quickly, much like it sounds like your baby is doing. My pediatrician suggested undressing her to wake her up if she fell asleep nursing. That worked a bit, then I would tickle her feet or play with her fingers - anything to keep her awake a little longer to nurse. She finally got the hang of it herself (or she just got hungrier). Hang in there I didn't have a problem with her having gas, but someone here will have an answer on that for you too.

Hey Leighahh,

First, 2 oz. per pumping session on top of nursing a young baby is actually a very good output. You're making a lot of milk! So don't worry about that so much.

It does sound like he's got too much foremilk in his tummy. Probably the simplest way to deal with this right now is to work on keeping him on one breast longer, so he has time to get to the hindmilk. The pp gave good advice about undressing him and tickling/stimulating him to wake him up and help him nurse longer. You can also do breast compressions -- a gentle but firm and loooong squeeze on your breast when he starts to drift off. It will help a little more milk come out, which should trigger him to swallow and hopefully start sucking actively again.

The gas and green poos aren't really a crisis, so don't panic about it. Just try these tricks and keep us posted on how things are going. Is he still needing the nipple shield to latch? Is that why you are pumping so often? (I need reminding, sorry I can't keep all the details straight.)

--Rebecca

yeah i am still using it i use it for a rew minutes then take it and try to get him to latch without it its going ok but he does better with it

You could try pumping first and then offering him the breast. That way, you will be pumping foremilk and he will be getting the hindmilk from the breast.

i am going to try that tonight