Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: surgery

Question surgery

Hi All! I have to go in for out patient surgery on March 15 to have my pacemaker replaced (it was recalled). I should be there and home within 8 hours. I am a SAHM and I'm worried about the effect this will have on my relationship with my son who will be 10.5 mos. at the time. My mother will be coming in to help but I have many concerns.
    1. What should I be concerned about regarding anesthesia?
    2. How soon after surgery should I bf? SHould I pump and dump?
    3. If possible, should I bring him to the hospital so he can be with me or should I leave him in a familiar environment at home with my mom or husband?
    4. The incision is just below my left colarbone (spell?). Any suggestions on dealing with my son as far as bf or picking him up? I have a sling, but I'm not quite sure how this is all going to work.
    5. HOw soon should I start pumping? How much?
    6. Sorry, I know I probably sound like a baby, but I'm also concerned that something will happen and I won't be able to be home with him that night if there are complications. Any suggestions to prepare for this scenario?
    7. Anything else I should worry about that I haven't thought of?
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Default Re: surgery

1. What should I be concerned about regarding anesthesia?
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBmaternalillness.html

2. How soon after surgery should I bf? SHould I pump and dump?
    See above.

3. If possible, should I bring him to the hospital so he can be with me or should I leave him in a familiar environment at home with my mom or husband?
    Totally up to you. I think most babies would prefer to see mom than not. Talk to your doctor, though.

4. The incision is just below my left colarbone (spell?). Any suggestions on dealing with my son as far as bf or picking him up? I have a sling, but I'm not quite sure how this is all going to work.
    Will you have help at home? Maybe they could do most of the picking up for the first few days.

5. HOw soon should I start pumping? How much?
    Again, totally up to you. Did you know you can pump on one side while nursing on the other? It's great for assisting the letdown. Also, you might try pumping during the first morning feed when your breasts are fullest.

6. Sorry, I know I probably sound like a baby, but I'm also concerned that something will happen and I won't be able to be home with him that night if there are complications. Any suggestions to prepare for this scenario?
    You don't sound like a baby. You sound like a concerned mom! Just pump as much as you can/feel comfortable doing. Make a plan for bringing him to nurse as needed. Then try to RELAX and stop worrying so much about the "what ifs".

7. Anything else I should worry about that I haven't thought of?
    I don't think so. You sound prepared!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the email links! The kellymom link was so good that I printed it out! :-)
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

Just wanted to update this post.

I went in for my cardiology appointment on Thursday. I spoke to the anesthesiologist (spell?) and the post op nurses. I will be getting anesthesia that will allow me to nurse ds right after surgery and ds will be allowed in the recovery room with me. Since I'll be out of surgery by 10am, I'm going to nurse ds right before I leave for the hospital (6:30am) and have dh give him some solids for his normal breakfast and have him at the hospital so I can feed him as soon as I get in to recovery. He can stay with me in the hospital until I'm released around 2 or so! I'm still going to pump just in case, but I feel much better!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

Praying for you!

Talking Re: surgery

UPDATE:

Well, I am through the surgery. The day went smooth and my husband, mom, and ds showed up in the recovery room about 10 minutes after I came out of surgery. They used as little anesthesia as possible to avoid complications, so I was actually awake through most of the surgery (screened up so I couldn't see anything) except when they had to check the defibulator (about 10 minutes of the 2 hour surgery). I nursed ds right away and we've been doing fine. I'm not taking the pain killers at night so we can co-sleep, so it's painful but worth it. Also, I havent been allowed to use that arm to pick up anything over 10 lbs so I've mastered the art of the one arm pick up. I'm also nursing more on the opposite side, which is a good thing because it's actually evening me out...hahaha!

Thanks for the support!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

So glad all went well! Thank goodness! And thank you for posting a follow-up; I know lots of people here were hoping to hear good news.
    be well!
    jsmom