Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A bottle a day....if I could start over again!!!

Default Re: A bottle a day....if I could start over again!!!

Hi,
    actually i have a small problem that has to do with that. My date due will be 20th August to my 1st baby. Until now i knew that i will get back to work after 40 days. I will work as a teacher 20 hours per week. Now i know that i have to go back to work after 20 days. So my fear was and still is the nipple confusion. I'm planning pumping in order to have at least 2 - 3 bottles in the fridge. My mom or my husband is going to give the bottle to her. My fear was that she'll refuse my breast if she feels the bottle more easy food for her. Now i've heard form a colleague that her daugher after 3 months exclusive BF she was totally refusing the bottle, crying and remaining hungry 8 hours when she was away. Of course i will be away just 5 hours, but it's still too much for her and really early for both of us. Now i hear these things from you. What am i going to do? Did anyone had the same experience with me?

Red face Re: A bottle a day....if I could start over again!!!

Hi. I breastfeed my 2 babies for a combine 3 years and can say that as soon as I gave my second baby a bottle a day she slowly started to want nothing else, and with my first I never gave him anything but breast milk and he totally refused a bottle. Nipple confision is a serious problem with babies and can be a challenge to get them back on your breast. My second baby totally refused the breast at around 6 months or so if I could go back I would have never given my baby a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by athena
    Hi,
    actually i have a small problem that has to do with that. My date due will be 20th August to my 1st baby. Until now i knew that i will get back to work after 40 days. I will work as a teacher 20 hours per week. Now i know that i have to go back to work after 20 days. So my fear was and still is the nipple confusion. I'm planning pumping in order to have at least 2 - 3 bottles in the fridge. My mom or my husband is going to give the bottle to her. My fear was that she'll refuse my breast if she feels the bottle more easy food for her. Now i've heard form a colleague that her daugher after 3 months exclusive BF she was totally refusing the bottle, crying and remaining hungry 8 hours when she was away. Of course i will be away just 5 hours, but it's still too much for her and really early for both of us. Now i hear these things from you. What am i going to do? Did anyone had the same experience with me?
    Hi Athena,

There are alternatives to bottle feeding. Here's some more info:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

We started to introduce a bottle when DS was 6 weeks old. He is able to go back and forth. Perhaps you can use another method until breastfeeding is well established?

I agree that you should explore alternatives to the bottles.

Some mothers who work outside the home can arrange to have their baby brought to them for a feeding during their work hours. Might this be possible for you? With a 5-hour workday, one feeding in the middle of that would probably do the trick and you could avoid pumping and bottles altogether.

--Rebecca

Maybe this will help too:

http://www.ilca.org/pubs/jhl/j18h1l10.pdf

Thanks for the www adress. I need to study it, since english is not my mother language. Unfortunatelly there is no way to have the baby at work once for BFing. The only alternative seems to be to refuse the job, which is not something i can afford since here is really hard to find a job

I know La Leche League recommends not starting a bottle for a while, but we experienced no nipple confusion when she did get the bottle early on. The onset of confusion comes much later when Mommy needs to be away for a while and the bottle wasn't introduced frequently enough.
    I'm glad that your baby didn't have any problems adjusting to the bottle. However, I just wanted to point out that the reason why LLL does recommend waiting 4-6 weeks before introducing a bottle is because in many cases introducing a bottle before that DOES create problems for the breastfeeding relationship. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. The same with pacifiers. That's why I would not recommend a "bottle a day" to all moms, especially to mothers that do not have a necessity to introduce a bottle, such as going back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by aimee123
    I don't carry around a bottle of formula that's already made. Sorry about the confusion. But that's definitely good information and I'm glad you brought it up so that I could clarify. I would hate to have anyone try that because they thought it had already been done.
    Sorry, I guess I misread your initial post. I sent an e-mail on that subject to Martha Stewart once because her web site actually suggested keeping warm bottles of prepared formula in an insulated bag for air travel! Anyway, thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

Athena, you sound worried! We are here to support you online, but you might find a local LLL group more helpful, or perhaps a lactation consultant. I hope you have such resources in your area. You have some difficult decisions to face, but you are the mother and will certainly do the best you can for your baby and family. Best of luck to you.