Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A bottle a day....if I could start over again!!!

Default Re: A bottle a day....if I could start over again!!!

What do you do when you want to run to the store, get a haircut, or have a cup of coffee with a friend? That is the eternal question for bf mothers! There is a good chance that your bf baby will "hold out" for you. Babies are not dumb after all. They know that the real thing is around here somewhere! Some peds even recommend that you start that bottle out early to ensure that the baby will accept it. While it's possible that baby won't take the bottle, it's just as possible that they will take the bottle, and not the breast. It's a bit of a gamble. There's certainly no guilt involved either way. But for every mom who worries that baby won't take bottle when she's away, there's a mom who is worried that her baby is now rejecting the breast in favor of the bottle. There's help for both situations, of course. But it can't hurt to postpone the bottle until nursing is well established--like 3-4 weeks or more. There are things you can do in the meantime to run those errands or have dinner out while keeping baby happy and fed. Maybe another thread for another day?

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJamaLama
    What do you do when you want to run to the store, get a haircut, or have a cup of coffee with a friend? That is the eternal question for bf mothers! There are things you can do in the meantime to run those errands or have dinner out while keeping baby happy and fed. Maybe another thread for another day?

I just assumed, for the 1st few weeks anyway, that's why babies are portable

Hi ladies,
    My ds also was a no bottle kind of guy, who can blame them really? We never did formula bc of ds's allergies and it really was not for me.... I never really had a problem leaving my EBF baby, I would nurse him and then go, I knew what kind of "window" I had and then I would come back within the 2-3 hour time frame. Also like one poster said babies are very portable really until they become mobile, so I would just take him with me. It never really was a big deal for us??? All the best! Brittan

* Something I will change next time will be to not nurse right away for everything, we got to a point where ds would only let me comfort him especially in the night, which is fine, he is really into his daddy right now, but even now in the night he only wants me.... Next time I think that I will hand him off to daddy more often. "

Personally, I know that the main reason my first DD did not bf well is because I supplemented her with formula from the beginning. Our nursing relationship was over at 3 mos b/c it was just so darn hard to get her to latch on... sometimes it would take us 30 mins or more to get her latching and I'd be crying. Later on when I became pg with #2 I read everything I could get my hands on about breastfeeding and learned the term "nipple confusion"-the lightbulb went on over my head! Anyhow with DD #2 I did not introduce the bottle until around 4 weeks and it's still an occasional thing-she gets about one per week and takes it just fine. She's never had any problems switching back and forth from breast to bottle, altho if I'm in the room and someone tries to feed her a bottle she spits at them and looks at me! We know what she prefers to drink!

Just my 2 cents,
    Beth

Want to share my experience: my baby is nearly 8 weeks old now and I started him on the bottle (formula) twice a day when he's 5 weeks old, as he still has jaundice. The 1st 10 days were terrible, as he fights the bottle like crazy!!!! Had to switch bottle brands, and he also sometimes rather skip a feed. My heart nearly broke when I see him rejecting the bottle. In the end I get out of the room everytime he's supposed to bottle feed.
    Now he's willing to drink from the bottle. We have slight nipple confusion, but can still manage.
    I suppose it makes sense to introduce the bottle once in a while so that mothers can have some freedom, but perhaps no need to do so regularly, or rather, think it depends strongly on the baby......

I would reccomend against giving a bottle early (1) because of nipple confusion- which doesn't happen to everyone but do you really want to take the chance?- and (2) offering a bottle in place of feeding can mess with your supply which is established in the first 6 weeks!

Even if your baby ends up not taking a bottle well, like my ds, there are other ways to feed the baby ebm. You could try a spoon, finger feeder, or even a cup! DH used to give ds ebm from the syringe he uses for his heart medicine.

Your baby is only ebf until they are ready for solids- about the middle of the first year. After that they can be offered some cereal or mashed banana in your absence. In the big picture, is six months really that long to wait to be away for extended absenses? I found that I rarely had to be away for longer than ds would normally go between feedings if I nursed him just before leaving. It just takes some creative scheduling.

Additionally, LLL recognizes that the infants need to be with the mother in the first year is as strong as the baby's need for food. I found that I experienced seperation anxiety if I was away from him too long.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Hi Ladies, just giving my two cents, although introducing a bottle early may sound like it will eliminate future bottle problems, it doesn't always work... speaking from experience. MY dd was given a bottle at 2 days old and a few times after that until she was 6 weeks old when she was given a bottle 5 days a week while I was at work for 12 hours a day and boy would she scream and scream, It broke my heart to have to leave her knowing that when she got hungry she was going to start crying nonstop because she didn't want the bottle and now she is 5 months old and still will only take a few sips from a bottle before refusing it all together, it seems that she only wants me, and I thought that because we had introduced the bottle early on we wouldn't have any problems.. well, she still doesn't want it.. and we have tried all kinds of bottles and nipples, she won't even take a pacifier... so with this in mind ladies, just know that it doesn't always matter whether you introduce the bottle early or not, your baby will decide with the first one you give if he or she is going to drink from it or not no matter when you introduce it. Just remember that your baby will not starve itself HTH
    Kristi
    Last edited by klgarz00; July 9th, 2006 at 10:49 PM.

I have to agree with those of you who expressed apprehension about giving a bottle early. If you value your nursing relationship at all, the risk of nipple confusion is just too great, as is the risk of upsetting your milk supply. For the first few weeks, frequent nursing is necessary to ensure an adequate milk supply. I can't remember the mechanics well enough to explain, but I believe there is recent research to support the need for frequent nursing in the beginning.

As for introducing formula, I would be especially wary of that. The protective effect of breastfeeding against allergies (and diabetes, I believe) comes from *exclusive* breastfeeding. Before baby's gut has matured fully, proteins from formula can sensitize him and make allergies of all sorts more likely. This can happen from just one bottle.

Formula also changes the gut flora. The iron in formula is not easily absorbed by baby, so it is present in fairly large quantities. On the other hand, pathogenic bacteria, which cannot readily absorb the iron in breast milk, thrive on the iron in formula. It can take weeks to reestablish a healthy balance of intestinal flora. (My DD1 was given formula in the hospital, and her poop wasn't normal for weeks. Never did smell as nice as DD2's, who was EBF.) The imbalance of intestinal flora caused by formula puts baby at increased risk for gastroenteritis. If you think it's inconvenient that baby won't take a bottle, just imagine how bad it would be if s/he kept you awake all night vomiting from gastroenteritis, wheezing from asthma, or crying from eczema, as both my SIL's kids did, having had formula from an early age!

To the mother who mixes baby's formula with hot water and carries it around until it's warm, I would respectfully point out that warm formula is an excellent breeding ground for pathogenic organisms. Quite a large percentage of powdered formula is contaminated by Enterobacter sakazakii because of inherent flaws in the manufacturing process. Babies have died from such contaminated formula, and the risks are so serious that current recommendations are to make each bottle fresh as needed instead of mixing up a day's feeds all at once. Hot water in a Thermos added to powder when baby is hungry would be much safer. I wish I could remember where I read about E. sakazakii, but I can't; if you look it up on the internet, you'll find more information.

At the end of the day, each mother has to decide how to parent her baby, and it is important to respect that. I chose not to use bottles or formula with my children and would make the same choice if God blessed me with more. Whatever you choose, LLL is here to offer any breastfeeding support you may need. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by barb
    To the mother who mixes baby's formula with hot water and carries it around until it's warm, I would respectfully point out that warm formula is an excellent breeding ground for pathogenic organisms.
    I guess I wasn't very clear... I put hot water in the bottle (only water) and mix the formula in when I'm ready to feed her. I don't carry around a bottle of formula that's already made. Sorry about the confusion. But that's definitely good information and I'm glad you brought it up so that I could clarify. I would hate to have anyone try that because they thought it had already been done.

Wanted to clarify what I posted earlier on this topic,

Sorry if I caused some confusion??? It is great to hear from everyone's experiences and I agree with the poster, that no two babies are alike. I know that even if you try a bottle a day with your baby, whether it be ebf or formula, they still may not take it.

This was my DS, who refused just about everything except a syringe for feeding EBM while I was gone. We did everything we thought was right, with the help of a LC We started a bottle EBM around 5 weeks, and he took it fine. We gave him a bottle of EBM every few days for one feeding, in preparation for me to go back to work. We slowly increased this until when I finally did go back at 12 weeks, after just two days of me being gone he stopped taking anything! He went on a nursing strike for 3 days, nursing only at night while he was sleeping. I also think we had some nipple confusion. I think at that point he would have taken a bottle or BF, but he was not going to do both. I did not want to stop BF and LOVE the bonding that it has created for us. We tried a month or so later to reintroduce the bottle/different nipples/cups/sippy cups/syringes, even the breastbottle, spoons, nothing... Now he just waits for me to get home, and is eating enough solids for dinner while I'm gone to help with his hunger along with sips of water.

This is my experience. I guess it is easy to say that if I had to do it all over again I would do a bottle a day, after 4 weeks, but maybe that wouldn't work either?!? I would say that consistency is very important, and I agree that whatever works best for you and your family is the most important. We mothers know our babies best and should trust our instincts as much as we can!