Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A bottle a day....if I could start over again!!!

Lightbulb A bottle a day....if I could start over again!!!

My 6 1/2 month old dd has been exclusively breastfed from the beginning. I'm a SAHM and there has been only a few rare occasions when dh has had to give her EBM through a bottle. Even on those few occasions, she would fight it until she was too hungry to fight it anymore, usually skipping a feeding.

My suggestion to all of you and what I plan to do with my next one is this:

Get your breastfed baby used to one bottle a day.

I cannot leave her to go out to dinner; she won't eat. If she would have been used to taking a bottle once a day, then my dh could let me sleep through the night occasionally, as she is still waking several times a night.

In the beginning, he used to be able to do this....since I didn't stick with it and she is so used to the breast, she refuses everything but breast, including a variety of bottles and sippy cups!

It wasn't really a problem until this morning when my milk wouldn't let down after her suckling for 10 minutes....never happened before. She's hungry & frustrated and there is no substitue.

You might consider this...?...?....

Best of luck!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: A bottle a day....if I could start over again!!!

Hello there Nolamomma,

I couldn't agree more...

Although I love the BF relationship I have with my DS, he also was exclusively BF until 8 months, minus a few bottles in the beginning. I wish that we had been more consistent with a bottle a day, everyday, the same routine. DS refused the bottle, and will still only drink sips of water from the only sippy cup we could find (NUBY) that he would even put near his mouth. He likes his momma. It was really hard, as I do have to work once per week and I'm gone for 6 hours. DS did not take anything while I was gone, and it just killed me to leave him! He would nurse when I got home and we cosleep, so he nursed more that night. He is now taking solids, and will eat dinner for my husband while I'm gone, so I don't feel so bad leaving. I do wish sometimes that he would be more receptive to EBM in a cup or bottle, so that we could enjoy lunches out (my son won't nurse in public), a dinner alone with DH, or just a bonding time with DH and DS (my husband expresses some sadness about not being able to feed him in the beginning.

Next baby we have promised ourselves we will be more consistent from the beginning and give baby a bottle a day too!

I've consistently given my baby one bottle a day, although there have been more than a few days where she had no bottle. We've never had a problem getting her to take the bottle. The only problem was that I felt so guilty about it that I was convinced that I had ruined BF for us. It's hard to know if you're doing the right thing or not, because you read so much about people having problems with supply and nipple confusion and baby refusing the breast and on and on. Reading all of this made me super paranoid about us having problems, and I think I created problems in my head when there were none.

I guess where I screwed up was giving her formula instead of pumping. I hate pumping. It's never worked for me, and it's quite painful. Maybe this makes me a bad mom, but formula bottles are so much more convenient. Especially when we're out and about. I just put hot water in her bottle so that it's warm by the time she needs it, and we're able to take her places (I'm not comfortable BF in public). The good thing is that formula has never caused a problem. Her body handles it just fine, and she usually goes back to the breast just fine. There have been a few times where I've had to give her a bottle because she refused to BF, but it's only when she's really tired but too hungry to just go to sleep. If she's really tired, she's too lazy to BF, but she'll usually just take a little nap and then eat just fine when she wakes up.

My way may not be the right way for everyone, but it's worked for us, and I guess that's the most important thing.

La Leche League recommends waiting 3-4 weeks before introducing a bottle. This ensures that baby has a lot of practice nursing at the breast and can switch back and forth between the two.

Offering a bottle from the start can cause problems for some mothers. Some mothers find their baby suffers from nipple confusion or nipple preference with even just one bottle feeding. Additionally, any time the baby takes a feeding away from the breast, especially if formula is used, it can interfere with the mothers' milk supply.

I strongly urge all of you to carefully weigh your options and make your decision carefully when introducing the bottle.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Glad to hear I am not the only one going through this!

I know La Leche League recommends not starting a bottle for a while, but we experienced no nipple confusion when she did get the bottle early on. The onset of confusion comes much later when Mommy needs to be away for a while and the bottle wasn't introduced frequently enough.

I absolutely LOVE my bf relationship; wouldn't trade it! I will change it just a little the next time around.

To Aimee123....it seems like guilt is something built-in to motherhood. There is a lot of unnecessary judgement going on with breastfeeding, supplementing with forumula, etc.

Finding what's right for you and your family is the best thing for you and that shouldn't mean living with guilt. So, I don't think you screwed up. I do think there is no shortage of people who will try to convince you otherwise, though.

Weighing your options is definitely important....but if you don't regularly give a bottle, you eventually lose an option. And, for work-out-of-home mothers, not offering the bottle isn't even an option. So, when weighing your options, remember to keep your options open.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I couldn't agree more!! I waited too long to start introducing a bottle. I was sooo worried about nipple confusion. My dd also would rather skip the feeding all together than take a bottle. We've tried them all too. It's making it rather hard for me to feel good about going back to work. As with everyone else, I wouldn't trade bf for anything, just would have made the decision to introduce a bottle and stick with it. We're going straight to sippy cups!

I can sort of agree with offering a bottle a little "earlier (around 3-4 wks), however, I do NOT agree with offering a bottle daily to assure baby will take one. I can't see how using a method that could potentially create more problems is a good way to avoid one singular problem. :confused

You might find this info helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/q...agreement.html
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022400.asp

i have to agree, when i fed my dd for a year she was a nightmare toget on the bottle and after a lot of teats and bottles later she got colic!!!

i now breastfeeding 8 week old twins and both have one bottle of formula a day at 10pm
    main reason was they needed fattening up cause they were 2 months prem but im so pleased i did it, itake bottles in public cause they attract so much attention its hard to feed them!!!!

my word of caution- both my bbs were supplemented from day 2 because my dr told me to due to jaundice-no problem for my son he still orefers me-however-my daughter developed preference for the bottle, would scream at my breasts and so ended (so sadly) our nursing realationship drastically early

i agree with the lll leader post-when not necessarry medically, please use caution introducing bottles very early on!

I agree with you, home executive. I'm a bit confused too. Personally, I do not like pumping and I find that more of a pain than not having a break once a day and giving a bottle. If I have to go out, I nurse my dd (who is 8 months old) right before leaving. If she gets a little hungry while I'm gone, she has been taking baby food great and she can eat some of that until I return. We also give her drinks of water from a straw occasionally (putting finger over top with water held in the straw and putting in her mouth). She LOVES, LOVES, LOVES this. If she needed a drink, that could be done as well. She is ebf and wants nothing to do with a bottle, either, and I wouldn't change it. But as others have said, find what works for your family. These are only my thoughts and experiences.