Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: please help!! very confused.

Default please help!! very confused.

i'm a new mom and extremely confused about solids. my son started solids at 5 1/2 months and ate voraciously (sp?). he went on a nursing strike at about 6 1/2 months and it took a couple of weeks to re-establish breastfeeding. to do so, i cut back on solids. now, at just over 7 months, he will eat almost no solids; he just isn't interested. he has two teeth and is perhaps teething again, he just started sitting, crawling and pulling himself up all in the span of two weeks. sleep has also become an issue--he wakes up more often than usual. when we started solids, his bm got pretty sluggish and at one point he seemed to be in pain (gas, constipation, maybe?). anyways, i have a couple questions:

1. he has been introduced to most of the basic foods and vegetables, at what point can i give him non-pureed foods to self-feed with, and what would they be?

2. if i still want to be breastfeeding by a year, but mostly on solids, what should our process of introducing solids look like at this point? what times of day? when in relation to breastfeeds?

3. is a bm every three or four days ok?

4. we are vegetarians, i am worried about iron and protein; what foods can i introduce at this point to give him what he needs. everything i read contradicts each other.

thanks so much for any help i can get! i am open to absolutely any suggestions.
    warmly, tami.

Default Re: please help!! very confused.

Solids, oh solids how fun and scary they can be

Starting Solids is a nice place to start and it should answer some of your questions:

"Your baby is starting to get ready for solids when:

he is about four months old
    he becomes more sociable, playing and holding "conversations" with you during a nursing session
    he has a growth spurt and nurses more frequently for a while
    he imitates the chewing motions you make whilst eating -- he is practicing!

You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:

he is about six months old
    he can sit up without any support
    he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern."

Solid Food & The Breastfed Baby/Toddler from Kellymom.com has some great tips.

I had a vegan diet (as did Mason) for about 14 months. As far as protein goes I can say that mason really enjoyed mashed up:

beans & rice, legumes, lentils(yummy), avocado, pumpkin, carrots, yams, broccoli (puree), soy yogurt, we also used barley cereal and whole grain pastas. Our big thing was to offer colorful foods-variety is the spice of life. Just introduce one thing at a time, if no reactions during about 3 days to 1 week, proceed. Have fun and take loads of smooshy faced pictures!!!

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

1. We did baby led solids, so DS has never had purees - his favourite thing at the start was steamed broccoli florets. Cut things to the same size and shape as your little finger and cook until soft enough to mush with your tongue against the roof of your mouth.

2. DS is BF on demand. Always BF before solids - about half an hour before is good. Since about 9 months he's been having solids at breakfast, lunch and late afternoon. To start with he just had lunch.

3. My DS poos every 5 days or so. As long as it isn't painful to pass and is soft they are fine. Constipation isn't frequency, but texture!

4. We are also vegetarians. breastmilk has enough iron in it. In fact babies get all the nutrients they need from breastmilk. So as long as you nurse on demand they do not really need solids for nutrition. We view them more as paytime!

Hi, Your lo sounds like mine at that age. He sounds like he is going thru alot of milestones and that definally affects eating sleeping etc...I gave my lo both puree and table food around 6 months. Somedays she ate alot others not much at all. I just followed her cues. To me there really is no right or wrong just follow them. The times my lo ate varied. At times she would hardly eat at breakfast but at dinner she would eat a ton. I gave my lo basically anything we ate that wasnt high on the allergy list. She either played with it or ate it. I just cut everything really small. Some things she liked others she hated. My lo is 10 months now and I basically bf every 3-4 hours and give food/sippy at the basic breakfast, lunch,snack dinner times. If she ate great if not no sweat. I would think a bm every 3-4 days is fine as long as its not really hard. Mine goes everyday. As for iron there are vitamins you can ask your Ped about. Not sure how good organic iron fortified cereals are but I use those too. HTH
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

thank you all so much!!!