Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 14 mo feeding nightly -- help

Default 14 mo feeding nightly -- help

I breastfed my son exclusively from newborn until 6 months, and then added organic baby food and solids at close to a year. Now at 14 months, he eats about everything (except meat of any kind) and still breastfeeds every morning and at night before he goes to sleep. He usually breastfeeds once a night as well. I have also co-slept with my son since he was about two weeks.
    I need you advice on a my son's night feedings, which he has started to increase to every 2-3 hours. I am getting very tired and since I work full-time, things are getting difficult for me. If I try to pretend like I am a sleep, he will climb over me and try to open my shirt OR he will try to root around my husband's chest. If he gets nothing, he wakes up and cries. Then I feed him so he will not wake up my husband.

The increase in night feeding also comes at a time when my son has moved from the infant room to the Toddler room at daycare. His day are more routine and possibly there is less time for a nap.

My questions -- How do I wean him from multiple night feedings?

Can you give me advice about how best to handle this without weaning him totally?

Is there any other advice you can give to help me improve this situation (which is quite wonderful except for the lack of sleep)?

Thank you in advance for your help. Best, Joe's mum -- cynthia
    Last edited by Joesmum; July 5th, 2006 at 07:56 PM.

Default Re: 14 mo feeding nightly -- help

Quote Originally Posted by Joesmum
    If I try to pretend like I am a sleep, he will climb over me and try to open my shirt OR he will try to root around my husband's chest. If he gets nothing, he wakes up and cries. Then I feed him so he will not wake up my husband.
    My ds does the same thing too.

As far as the day care, find out what their nap time is like. He should be left to nap as long as he needs to and not awakened by someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesmum
    My questions -- How do I wean him from multiple night feedings?

I'm wondering the same thing especially because we are ttc.. But working all day, I hate to take that away from him.

I'm looking forward to hearing some suggestions too.
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

Default Re: 14 mo feeding nightly -- help

My DS went through a period of time like this. I had to revert to sleeping through nursings and let him go for it by leaving my shirt open for him to help himself. It resolved after a few sleepy weeks as whatever was bugging him resolved too.

The only time I drew the line was after I had actually managed to conceive and was having a difficult pregnancy, and then after I lost that baby, we had to night wean. I couldn't cope with the hourly (no joke) demands to nurse on top of everything physically and emotionally. But he was a bit older than yours, and we did not CIO. Daddy helped with more of the night-time comforting. You could try that -- have Daddy rock him back to sleep at certain wakings, and you nurse at others.

Sounds like it could be the change in routine at daycare that has your baby looking for more connection to you via nursing at night. But maybe someone else has some other ideas too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!