Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never ending problems with solids.. allergy??

Default Never ending problems with solids.. allergy??

My 8.5 month old has had issues with solids for a while.. we gave a few things around 5.5 months and then stopped because it seemed to make her spit up more. She is a happy spitter since birth... when she had solids she would spit up 30-40 times a day! her norm at that time is about 10-20 times a day. We tried again around 7 months and same thing... and now at 8.5 months.( her regular spitting up had decreased to less than 5 times a day. She was doing ok for a few days and today I gave her some cheese- the 2 days prior she had some plain yogurt... not alot just a few bites. She now has been spitting up alot, is all red around her anus, has pooped 5 times today (some of them slightly greenish). I looked on kellymom and she has several things that would fall under potential allergy
    Dry skin
    red rash around anus ( maybe just because she has pooped so much today)
    increased spitting up
    greenish poop
    We aren't really doing pureed stuff or cereal.. most just table food in teeny tiny bites that she can self feed or soft things like applesauce and humus.
    IF she had a allergy to wheat or dairy .. would she have a problem with my breastmilk? Would she be able to nurse and be fine but have all these issues when I feed her dairy or wheat in the solid food form?
    I thought I Had read that allergy testing in children younger than 12 months isn't very accurate.
    My original plan was just to nurse her till12 months and then try solids but she wants food so bad she whines and yells until we give her something to eat.- I have a hard time not giving her anything and then eating in front of her.
    How would they test her to see if she had an allergy to wheat or dairy? Is it a blood test or skin test?
    No one in the family has food allergies but my husband has pretty significant allergies to dust, pollen, animal dander.. etc

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Default Re: Never ending problems with solids.. allergy??

lots of kids with tummy troubles self regulate their solids..
    whats the doctor say about all that spiting up? If your doctor isn't listening its ok to fire them and find somebody that will...

there is a good link to introducing foods to allergic babies around
    I look and see if I can find it.

thanks for the links I am thinking more along the lines that she has a dairy intolerance rather than a full blown allergy?
    My doc is never very helpful... BAck when dd was really little she had the foremilk/hinkmilk imbalence and green poops and when I mentioned to the doc what I had found she rolled her eyes.. same thing when I asked her if I should eliminate dairy..
    She offered at her 6 month check up to put her on a med for the spitting up but I don't want to as she is a happy spitter.. I want to find out WHY she is spitting up. I can easily not give her dairy but to take out wheat is a bit harder as she really doesnt eat much off a spoon and only wants stuff off my plate.

Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    My Daily Blog

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My son is allergic to dairy - he has diarrhea, red ring, nappy rash and eczema from dairy.

I do not eat any dairy now. It is important to avoid it as the allergens are passed on through your milk. The less exposure they have to the allergens the more likely they are to outgrow the allergy.

He had a RAST blood test which came back as normal. Allergy testing is inaccurate, no matter the age of the patient. Symptons are a much more reliable way to diagnose.

Why do you suspect wheat?

I am now not giving DS any of the top allergens. And I would suggest you do the same. Also avoid hummus as it contains sesame (tahini), another common allergen.

I don't think its the hummus. I only thought wheat or dairy because out of all the food I am giving her those are the top allergens...
    If you cut out dairy and wheat and corn..
    whats left to eat? Fruits, veggies, beans, and rice?
    Im middle eastern... we love our yogurt and bread!!

My Daily Blog

Hi,
    I have two boys with food allergies. One of them did not show symptoms until he ate the foods (he didn't spit up, no poop problems,etc even with me eating the foods he was allergic to while nursing). So, just because your LO had no problems nursing while you ate dairy, wheat, etc. doesn't mean it isn't an allergy. I think those symptoms should be taken seriously and that you should eliminate at least dairy and see if things get better. Sure, some spitting up is perfectly normal but what you are describing sounds a little bit excessive.

DS #1's first ped didn't take me very seriously when I told him that my son's lips swelled after having cottage cheese. At the same appointment, he suggested that I start feeding him egg (at 9 months). I did, against my better judgment, and we ended up in the ER with anaphylaxis. Listen to your instincts and try to get to the bottom of the symptoms - even if you have to eliminate things that you love to eat. I know it is difficult to take things out of your diet that you love (I ate a dairy, egg, nut free diet for over a year while DS#2 breastfed). It's not easy but, in the end, it is the best thing. Also, if you feel your ped isn't taking you seriously, look for another one!!!

Good luck,
    Kristi

IMO you should start solids with foods that are less likely to cause allergies (ie, hold off on dairy, grains, etc until he is doing better with other solids).

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I took her off dairy and wheat... she LOVES to self feed so I got her some organic rice and oat cereal she can pick up and self feed.. other than that I am sticking to fruits, veggies, meat and oat or rice based stuff.. I bought some rice pasta and she loved it!!!
    I am still eating wheat and dairy but I have been since the beginning- the past few days she has only spit up < 5 times a day so she is doing much better.. she still spit up a few times with only breastmilk recently so I think that is related to her reflux.
    I am so thankful for this forum.. YOu all are great!!!

My Daily Blog