Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another poop question

Default Another poop question

Ok so there are so many poop questions out there... here is another

What does diarrhea in a breast feed baby look like. It is always loose and I can never tell if I she has diarrhea or just pooping alot and often!!

We started fruits and we wanted to make sure there was no reaction before we add a vegetable. She had had about 1 teaspoon of organic bananas for breakfast and dinner since Saturday. I wanted to start sweet potatoes tonight but she has been pooping so often I don't want to start something new if she is have poop problems with the bananas!!

Thanks in advance.
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Default Re: Another poop question

Bananas generally have the opposite effect. They usually will stop a baby UP rather than give diarrhea. Diarrhea doesn't look like your typical two kinds or normal breastfed poop. The mustardy kind with the seedy milk curd in it or the peanut butter color or consistency kind that usually takes a day or more of build up time. Diarrhea is runny. There is a ton of water in it and it can have a irritating effect on the bottom. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

When my DS had diarrhea, first there was a lot of gas and discomfort while he was pooping and when I changed him, it looked like a wet diaper with a greenish color, barely any solids in it. Banana has the opposite effect in my DS, I actually started to feed him bananas to help w/ the diarrhea that was caused by a stomach virus. HTH and Hope your LO feels better soon.

I did know that about bananas. She just does not seem to like them.... I thought BF babies liked them because they were sweet like breast milk! Well my LO likes PEAS!! I thought I would have to force feed her veggies, but she turns her nose up at the bananas and loves the peas. Now she has been having "big girl" poop. Really thick and smelly. She may like her peas, but I could do without the smell!!

We will try apples next, see if she likes them. Now they can cause diarrhea sometime, can't they??
    All I do is

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    We will try apples next, see if she likes them. Now they can cause diarrhea sometime, can't they??
    I don't think so...they never did with my little one and when I had a stomach virus last week where really BAD diarrhea was one of the symptoms the doctor said I could eat them! And my son eats applesauce like everyday and it doesn't seem to be a problem!

Way too lazy for formula

I asked that same question.

My pedi M.D described diarrhea by if it soaks into the diaper if bf baby. He says regular bf poop does NOT soak in but stays on top in the diaper.

Hope that helps.

Blessed Mom to Brooke dob 6/7/07

Quote Originally Posted by blessedmom07 View Post
    I asked that same question.

My pedi M.D described diarrhea by if it soaks into the diaper if bf baby. He says regular bf poop does NOT soak in but stays on top in the diaper.

Hope that helps.

Blessed Mom to Brooke dob 6/7/07
    That does help. We have had some diarrhea then in the past, and I never knew it. But so far we have not had any with the new solids we have added.

Thanks to all for the info!!
    All I do is

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)