Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eating too much?

Default eating too much?

i introduced cereal to my 5 1/2 month old about a month ago and just recently i introduced veggies and apples. sometimes she eats the whole jar and other times she'll eat two! i wasn't worried at first because she'll still nurse plenty before bed and once during the night. could she be going through a growth spurt?

Default Re: eating too much?

Hi there, she probably is going through a growth spurt, either that or she just really likes what you are giving her, I wouldn't worry about it to much, my pedi says that she will stop eating, close her mouth, or turn away when she has had enough, we just started our dd who just turned 5 months on solids, and we were told to only give her a few teaspoons at a time, which I did for the first feeding, even though she kept opening her mouth, which was soooo cute, so the next day when I went to give her solids, after a few teaspoons again she acted like she wanted more, so I figured what could it hurt, she had just nursed so I figured it would be okay, and she ate the WHOLE jar, and was still opening her mouth, but I stopped there... and I thought she wasn't ready for solids... boy was I wrong...lol, and she still nurses just as often as she would without the solids. She even grabs the spoon and tries to pull it into her mouth, it is so funny, so I guess what I am trying to say is as long as it isn't interfering with your nursing her, give her what she wants, it won't hurt her, and she will stop when she is full... or so her doctor says
    Kristi

thanks a lot!
    i hadn't checked on this thread in awhile but i decided to check tonight after dd ate about 2 1/2 containers of food.
    she probably would have eaten the other half but i stopped her.

As long as she is getting at least 24oz of BM/Formula a day or nursing often and before the solids, I am glad you have a healthy eater , but if she isnt, maybe you could try adding another nursing in such as waiting an hour or so after she nursed and try nursing again before giving her solids. Maybe this will help lower the amount of solids she eats...

That is what I do. I nurse ds say around 4pm, I nurse him again before I feed him solids at 5:30 and then I nurse him one last time before putting him to bed around 7-7:30. Then I will nurse him before I go to bed and he has recently been waking once in the middle of the night to nurse again. I will do the same thing in the am, nurse around 6:30, nurse again before solids at 8 am and then he usually gets a bottle between 10-11 am, just depends when he wakes up from his nap. I don't think he is eating as much at each nursing session, but I am offering the boob every chance I get. Even if it is to help him go to sleep.

thanks guys, i started offering an extra feeding and she has been eating a bit less.