Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: For people who work in cubicles

Default For people who work in cubicles

I work in a cubicle. For privacy, I bought a standing screen (like the kind you might have in your house) which I pull across the opening whenever I pump.

I also have a pumping band so I can be hands-free... in fact, I am pumping as I type this.

Happy pumping!

Default Re: For people who work in cubicles

Good for you! Thanks for sharing your solution.

We should have a pumping at keyboard smiley!

I tried that but my boss wouldn't go for it. They ended up putting me in an empty office on the other side of the plant.

my employer did not like the idea either
    i am in an empty office too, and will have to move into a bathroom soon ......

can i ask you what other people think about the noise that the pump makes?
    mother to Noah 9/17/2007
    wife to Victor 6/20/2006

Love to &
    because it is worth it

I was in a cubicle when I went back to work after dd. sometimes I pumped there, sometimes in a room they had that was rarely used. Never bothered any of my coworkers--I had a pumping DO NOT ENTER sign so they knew not to turn the corner . I work with mostly men, too, by the way. I was very upfront and they were too--we laughed about me being the milkcow, but everyone was very considerate. Iat allowed for me to work while I was pumping, so more got accomplished than if I had to take a formal break.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hmmmm. You might want to point out to your employer that you can work while pumping if you can stay at your desk... but you won't get much work done in the bathroom, or in an empty office. Maybe suggest that you do a trial of pumping at your desk for a week and then re-evaluate with him/her. And then during that week, make sure it's clear that you are working (like, make sure your fingers fly across the computer keyboard, or make some work-related phone calls) while pumping.

As for the noise, I work in a medical research lab, so if someone on the phone asked about it, I would blame it on some machine in the lab. As for co-workers, my cubicle is right in the middle of the entry-way to the floor. The adjacent cubicle is used for mail, so no one sits there. There are two cubicles across the way, and both of the people there know what I am doing, but they don't seem to mind. There are lots of people who use the common entry-way space for lunch breaks. They either don't know what's going on or they don't care.

listening in
    Partnered to my sweet heart Moms to 3 gorgeous boys: Drake(3/23/95) Gavin(8/7/97) & Gage(4/20/06)

www.MilkshakeMomma.com

thanks I will suggest to them. I had an interesting experience. One of my coworkers noticed that I am pumping in one of the restrooms and she is now trying to get me a better location. really nice. however, when I told her that I would prefer my cubicle she said that "My opinion would be against the office with the screen, the noise would be disruptive. You know people (Americans especially) they will easily get weirded out knowing what's going on."

we will see what happens. I have to say the bathroom was actually not as bad as I thought. I have a folding chair in there, it is a bigger spaced room (for handicapped) and so I sit facing the mirror and try not to look at the toilet. there is an outlet and I can wash the equipment right in there without walking across the offices with it.

thanks for sharing your experiences with me!!
    mother to Noah 9/17/2007
    wife to Victor 6/20/2006

Love to &
    because it is worth it

I too work in a cube - as an engineer - so I'm almost the only female in the building - Oh, wait - I am except for the secretary...

I use an extra office to pump in (with a locked door) - athough the guys know I pump and joke about it, I prefer to keep it private - not everyone knows and I have frequent visitors which could be

It works out great for me - a little break from the hectic grind of work - 15 minutes when no one will bother me

I just keep my pump and milk in a small black bag in the group fridge - don't even have to mess with cleaning until I get home
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!