Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Strange Poop

Question Strange Poop

I have been struggling to see what is going on with my little girl's ( almost 5 months) belly. I have been exclusively BF and since she was 4 months just started once in a while giving her tastes of rice cereal and/or bananas. Previous to starting these we had lots or BF troubles I have overactive let down and oversupply issues and she was getting mostly foremilk. She is also on zantac for reflux. I think that she has a sensitivity to dairy too so I have not eaten dairy for several months b/c she was having what I thought was blood in her stool and was more uncomfortable after I ate it(I kept a food diary etc.) This last time I gave her more rice cereal mixed with some breast milk and a finger tip of bananas. She woke up straining a bit to poop which resulted in a normal colored poopy diaper with tons of tiny black twigy looking objects no bigger than 1/8 of an inch each. They are similar to what I have seen before but they were red and I thought that was the blood after I was having dairy? Obviously I am very confused can anyone help!!!

Default Re: Strange Poop

Those sound like the undigested strings of bananas. You're certainly not the first mom to mention seeing them after eating bananas!
    Last edited by @llli*LLLShannon; February 13th, 2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

even though she only had a teeny tiny bit? could it be the rice cereal? does this mean i should wait longer to give her more solids if they are undigested? i saw in reading LLL websites that meat is a good thing to start with. what kind of meat and how would you prepare it for a baby?

Yep, bananas. Same thing happened to us, and it was only a tiny bit also. But DD hadn't had any other solids around the same time so it couldn't have been anything else. It seemed like she stopped having them after a while, even when she would have bananas again. They never came back after a month or so.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

It's okay that stuff isn't digested... that's what fiber does. Your body can't digest it, so it gives the body a good cleaning out.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine