Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Past the First Few Months

Default Past the First Few Months

My son is 15 weeks old. I have never been able to do anything more than on-demand milking and pumping, but I almost keep up with his demand, supplementing only 2-6 oz a week (worse with growth spurts but always end up coming this close). I have tried fenugreek, double pumping 8 times a day, letting him feed constantly over long periods of time, everything I've ever read to try.
    I've been to lactation consultants and his latch is pretty good- and while I can't do what I'd like - pump and store more milk for flexibility and making up gaps- I can live with what I have done for my son.

My question is, now that I am at 15 weeks, how can I possibly make this any easier? This is supposed to be the golden time period, but it isn't for me. I have had thrush for 13 weeks and have done everything I have read on here and other sources(but that's another story)... it is under control but not healed. I still feed him literally at least 12 times a day, and during the night it is quite common for me to feed him at 11PM, 3 AM, 5AM, 6:30 and then 7:30. He's pretty fast and efficient, but seriously this is difficult for me to maintain for much longer. His weight gain is sufficient, at first he was below normal, and now he's gaining a good amount, but this doesn't matter now. What matters is that I have a crying infant that wants food.

Are some people just like this? They never quite get their head above water? I was dedicated to absolutely making the 6 month mark and was hoping to go past that... but after a 4 day weekend where I did little else than feed my son, at 15 weeks... help

Default Re: Past the First Few Months

some babies just need to nurse alot! Normal newborns. Is there any way that you can relax your standards just for a while. When I have a newborn I stick to the basics.. Laundary and food and the rest just sort of doesn't get done.
    i was thinking that I read someplace that yeast can cause your milk supply to drop but now I cann't find that.

The first couple of months are hard. I think my son started to level out at around 2 1/2 months old. Things just seemed to be easier because he became more scheduled. I took the first three months off from work and yes, all you do during that time is nurse. My only advice would be to have someone there to give you breaks in between feeding. Sometimes just having my husband hold the baby, while I took a shower was invigorating to my spirit. If your child is thriving, you are successful. Now you must change your expectations. It is normal to feed, what feels like, all the time in the early months. It is normal to feel a little frazzled. What you must do is accept the frequency of the feedings and then figure out a way to release your stress. If you do these things your spirit will feel renewed. My son is now 4 months old, and there are nights that I feed him four times. Use co-sleeping to minimize your and your child’s waking time.

He is almost at 4 months now... I do co-sleep with him, I started that about week 4.
    I also didn't mention that I had to return to work at 8 weeks. My mother lives with us so she is doing a perfect job taking care of him, but working full-time, running home on my lunch hour to feed him, feeding him all night... I just don't see how I can do this for much longer. Is there anything I can do to consolidate feedings or make this somehow easier?

thanks

Carla,
    I know it is tiring and frustrating, but you're doing a great job. There will be light at the end of the tunnel. DS did was sleeping through the night at 10 weeks, but that stopped until he was 5 months old. About 2 days before his 5 mo birthdate he just started sleeping through the night 7-8 hours.
    This may also be your lo way of reconnecting with you since you are gone all day at work.
    Keep up the good job and things will get better.

You are doing a great job! I have a 6 month old ds, and I feed him 8-10 times a day. I also go home on my lunch hour and feed several times through the night. One thing I've noticed during the last two months is he has gotten much more efficient at nursing. What used to take 45-60 minutes is now down to 10-20. So it does get easier. And they are little for such a short time.

Perhaps a sling may make your life a bit easier?

jentut,
    My ds is also 6 mo, and I have to say......itsn't is nice to be able to go home on your lunch break and feed baby? That is the best part of the working hour, plus it takes the stress off needing to pump enough milk for ds when he does get a bottle.
    DS nurses 6-10 times a day, has recently started nursing more frequently at night. although it is TIRING, I love the bond with him.

Carla, your lo will soon be nursing more efficiently. Mine also nursed 45+ min every 2 hours. Now he is down to 10-20 min every 3-4 hours. Hang in there.