Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast milk smells

Default breast milk smells

I noticed this morning a weird smell when I breastfed my DD - not super stinky, but kind of like body odor. I smelled her mouth and it was my breastmilk. My breasts themselves do not smell, so I am assuming it is just my milk.

As the day progressed it went away. Is this because of something I ate? I had rather strong onions on my salad.

Also - should I be washing my breasts everytime I feed her?

Default Re: breast milk smells

Breastmilk may change in color and flavor as your diet varies. That's a good thing, as it seems to prepare babies to eat the food that you eat once they start solids. I have one friend whose baby screamed at the breast the day after she ate Thai food -- she tasted her breastmilk, and it actually was spicy! But babies in Thailand must learn to enjoy spicy breastmilk, LOL!

There is absolutely no need to wash your breasts before or after nursing. That is outdated advice and no longer recommended, as it is a hassle and all that soap and water can dry the skin and promote cracking and sore nipples.

--Rebecca

BM is so neat how it reflect what you eat. Also in the beginning my son was a really messy nurser and would end up covered in milk. After a few hours it would smell a little ripe. It would hide in his neck rolls and behind his ears.

Janine

thanks! your responses were so helpful!