Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When/How to Introduce Bottle (EBM)

Default When/How to Introduce Bottle (EBM)

I am a FTM due in April and I can't wait to breastfeed my son. I will be a stay at home mom and don't see myself leaving him alone (even with Dad) for any length of time till he is at least 4 months old.

I know I will not introduce a bottle or pacifier untill we have established a breastfeeding routine and my supply is doing well. Here is my question.

If I want to have the freedom to use a bottle say in cases where I need to leave him for the day, or if I want Dad to be able to give him a bottle...say in the middle of the night...how do I do this? what age should I introduce the bottle? I will be willing to try different brands to see which he prefers...but I jsut don't want to mess it up.

Should I make it a routine where he has at least one bottle a day or only do it on a case to case basis and hope he takes the bottle? I am clueless and I have been told by some moms at my LLL meeting that unless I needed to, don't introduce the bottle. I don't know.

Default Re: When/How to Introduce Bottle (EBM)

oh...it will be breastmilk in the bottle....just forgot to mention that.

There are other alternatives to a bottle (i.e. droppers, and I've even heard of kids learning to drink from a cup as early as 2 months). However, should you decide to use one, I would start somewhere between 4 -6 weeks as long as your baby has established a good latch and your supply is good. This way your baby is old enough to not get nipple confusion but young enough to be open to trying something new. Have your dh or someone else give the baby the bottle at a time when the baby is not hungry and not full. If possible leave the house because the baby may sense your presence up to 20 feet away and if she/he can see you may want only you.

I would give the baby a bottle once a day. We ended up doing it on an as needed basis with my son and he is terrible with the bottle but was great when we started and were doing it consistantly. Make sure you get a nipple that is wide at the base and slow so that it is as close to the breast as possible. Was I the only one that thought that the prostetic breast in Meet the Fockers was not a bad idea? hahahaha. Hope this helps! Good luck and keep us posted!
    Last edited by LLL_Kristie; January 27th, 2006 at 09:11 PM.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Thanks for the advice. Anyone have any other opinions?

Are avent bottles good?

i just started with my 1 month old this week (well, my dh did) and all is well. we use playtex nursers and the medela harmony. good luck to you!

Congratulations on the expected birth of your son. What an exciting time for you and you are definitely asking the right questions!

LLLI suggests waiting at least 3-4 weeks before offering a bottle for moms who are planning on going back to work. This helps establish a good milk suppy with the baby at the breast at all times and no other nipple in his mouth.

That being said, if you are not planning an separations from your son for at least 4 months, as you stated, you may not have to worry about bottles at all. As Fezzik812 stated, there are many other ways to feed your son, and the longer you wait you will have more options. Many moms begin giving EBM in a soft-spout sippy cup at 5 months.

Also, if you decided to go out for a while without ds, and he did not want EBM from a bottle, he could offer it from a regular cup. Cup feeding is often suggested in young babies who are learning to nurse, to avoid nipple confusion/preference. This should not be a problem with an older baby, but one never knows!

Since you are attending LLL meetings, you can ask more about these alternatives!

Good luck!

I use avent bottles. They're okay. Elisabeth takes them, most of the time, unless she just absolutely wants me. Occasionally they can leak, and if you screw the lid on too tightly, the milk will come out way too fast. I use them with no real problems, though.

We started with one bottle a day at about 3.5 weeks. This is earlier than some recommendations but it worked for us. Dad gave the bottle at night so i could go to bed for a couple of hrs. My daughter took it fine from the beginning although sometimes she is slow. We are using the Avent with the newborn slow flow nipple (shes now 10w old) - i have not tried other brands since she seems to be doing fine with this. She fusses a bit more with the bottle (never fusses at the breast) but its necessary for us since i go back to work next week. I recommend giving an occcasional bottle early on - i have friends who waited for several months to introduce and their babies really didnt take the bottle well. I also have a friend who uses the medela nipples that go right onto the bottles that you pump into and this works well for her baby (5 mos now). Hope that helps.