Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spoiling Child?? Help!

Default Re: Spoiling Child?? Help!

congrats on your precious baby
    don't worry, you're not spoiling.
    my first daughter is happy to sleep in her own bed, even though she was in bed with me a lot.
    even if she gets "spoilt" there are techniques to "unspoil" her.
    continue to do what's comfortable for you during these testing times.

Ack! Listen to your instincts! Absolutely DO NOT let them CRY IT OUT!!! This can cause your child to have self doubt and end up a clingy child later in life!! You should really read this whole page on this link:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

I absolutely LOVE Dr. Sears and his advice!

But if not the whole page, at least scroll down to the CRY IT OUT method! Oh how horrible it would be if the only way we could express ourselves was by crying and we all went ignored! How would you feel? Me, not so good!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

babies that are held often are less likely to be insecure. Those that arent held often are very insecure when they grow up. We build our sense of security in the first six months so dont worry you are doing a great job

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

<< Also, how do you answer this whole "let them cry" debate. He is such a sweet little thing, I think I"m doing okay, but then I hear all this other and question myself! Any thoughts would be appreciated!!! >>

Tell them to wait a couple months. My two month old has never been made to cry it out. I don't even put him to bed sleepy. He falls asleep on me or daddy and then goes down by himself. Today my husband and I had a ballroom dance lesson together. When we arrived at the studio, Chance was sleepy but awake. He fussed a little just as we stepped onto the dance floor but as soon as our instructor put music on, he put himself to sleep. For the first time! I am thrilled beyond words that he has the confidence to fall asleep in a strange environment without needing to be held.

In time, your sweet little guy will be falling asleep without any help from you and no struggles either. He gains confidence from your help now so sleep won't be scary later on.

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

You are doing the right thing!
    We've been told over and over by nurses and doctors that giving a newborn as much attention and comfort as possible now will actually make them more independent and secure as they get older. Your love now will pay off later.

You are doing the right thing by trusting your instincts. Plus even the proponents of the stupid cry-it-out method say that you can't do that until your baby is at least 4 months old. A 2.5 week old (and in my opinion all babies of all ages) need the warmth of his/her mother not to be spoiled but to survive and grow. Studies show that the more skin to skin contact a baby gets the higher their IQs are because the feeling of security babies get from being close to mom boosts their brain growth.

I just tell everyone that they are mine to spoil so I will do as I wish . That really gets them going. But you are not spoiling your baby, you are answering his needs, and he needs YOU!

How about a little humor? When someone tells you that you are spoiling your baby, grin at them and say "I know, isn't it great?!"

Quote Originally Posted by newmamma08 View Post
    So it finally happened. My mom tells me I'm spoiling my 2.5 week old baby, and that he is "manipulating me" because he now prefers to be next to a warm body when sleeping. I recently started taking him to bed with me at night, so that I could get some much needed sleep and feed him; and mom blames this new "pattern" on that. Please know that I am going to trust my instinct, but I need to know that what I'm doing isn't "spoiling him" and that he will one day sleep comfortably and securely on his own. I want to do what is 100% best for him, in all manners. Also, how do you answer this whole "let them cry" debate. He is such a sweet little thing, I think I"m doing okay, but then I hear all this other and question myself! Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!
    You can't "spoil" a baby! ARG that makes me so mad when people say that! I get flack from my MIL because she doesn't even think I should be breastfeeding (she only did for the first 3 months or so) so I know how frustrating MIL's can be. You do what is best for you and your baby! It's your decision to make, not hers.
    Also, about "crying it out", my pediatrician told me that is one of the worst things you can do to a baby! It's a personal choice, but in my opinion it is ridiculous. A baby cried to communicate to you that something is wrong and it shouldn't be ignored.

I am the proud mommy of four. All of my children have slept with me. I have a hard time letting go! My daughter is five, she just left our room weeks before our son arrived. The other two were three when they decided to sleep in their own beds. My entire family thinks I act like a know it all mom. lol
    I'm the first to admit I KNOW very little but I do what I FEEL is right! We only have them for 18yrs, which is a short time in a life span of 75+yrs. What is the hurry to push them away as babies? You can't spoil him. You can make him trust that you will be there for his every need. He will be a confident child, less likely to whine, and always know you are his soft place to fall.