Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pacifier

Default Pacifier

I think my 3.5 month old DS is starting to use me as a pacifier. He has always loved nursing b/c of his reflux. It seems to make him feel better. He's now on meds that are helping a lot. What are the downsides of being his pacifier? Also, he often wants to nurse to sleep. At night we usually put him down drowsy but he likes to nurse before napping. Is this a problem?

Default Re: Pacifier

Babies are designed to nurse frequently, and their need to suck and be close to momma has to do with a lot more than their need just for food. There is no harm in letting him satisfy his need to suck at the breast, and there is no harm in letting him nurse to sleep. I think there are actually a great many benefits to these practices. It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job of following his cues and using the whole package of breastfeeding in your mothering.

--Rebecca

Thanks! It just seems like everyone has an opinion about everything and they always seem to think I'll spoil him or make him dependent on me or breastfeeding.

I say SPOIL them!!! DS is now 6 mo old and he does not like to be nursed to sleep anymore and he does not like co-sleeping anymore either. Now there are days he will lie down and nurse nap with me, but alot of the times he just wants some alone time in his crib.
    You will not always be a pacifier and your lo will not always be this small and dependent on you for everything. So my motto is who cares what everyone else says and do what makes your baby happy!!!

My DD is the same age as yours. There have been times when I wished she would take a pacifier. I'm having a hard time at the moment with some chronic pain, and it's nice when my husband can take her for an hour or so and let me rest comfortably without her crammed up my armpit, but, that only lasts about 30 minutes before she wants the real thing.

But overall it's a blessing in disguise. I LOVE letting her nurse to sleep, or when she's not feeling well. There's nothing wrong with it all. Sometimes all it takes is to pull my shirt up and hold her close, and bam, she's out like a light.

It's true, nursing is way more then just food. Enjoy it while it lasts! We've gone from 3 hours power nurse-a-thons to only an hour or so. It sucks.

I don't mind ehr using me as a pacifier either. The only downside I know of is when she is tired and in the car. She finally took a real paci when she was about 4-5 months. This has helped a lot with the screaming while driving.

My dd uses me as a pacifier only when she is really tired or was really hungry then she will continue to suckle for an extended period of time. I am okay with this as she is wanting to huggle as my ds calls snuggles. She also takes a real pacifier, which she uses a lot as well. I agree with Cutiepie Spoil Them cuz before too long it is "Yuck Mom" about even hugs. Thankfully we aren't there yet.

A friend of mine who has no children was telling me today that she spoke with a doula who said that moms must be careful about non-nutritive sucking versus feeding. She said that moms have to stop the baby from sucking if they are not taking in milk. This sort of advice is just so frustrating. I get frustrated when someone who has no experience hears someone say something and they assume that it is right and that I should follow it as well. I've done a lot of research and I didn't think that pacifying my DS was a problem.

Wink Re: Pacifier

Honestly, I don't always like being a pacifier. I mean, sometimes I just get tired of him wanting it so much. Then I have to step back, and say that he's just a little baby, and you can't spoil them at this age (almost 3 months). What they want and what they need are the same now. Sometimes it is very difficult, but so far, he won't let me do anything but cobedding, and pacifying sometimes! He also won't let me put him down without an argument, so I'm still looking for a good sling. Anyway, my point is that they're only this little for a little time, and you've just got to do what makes sense to you. Also, I don't think any of us should feel guilty for using a pacifier, or finger, once in a while, and I don't think it would hurt anything.

I totally agree with the thought that they are only young once. My mom has been giving me unwarranted advice and it just annoys the cr@p out of me.

You can't spoil a baby, and if you can, so what - how long will you have your child as a baby?