Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP - Could not produce ANY milk...

Default HELP - Could not produce ANY milk...

With my first DC, I was not able to produce enough milk. So, I was given the option to give my DS formula or immediately take him to the hospital so that he could get an IV put in. He was loosing too much weight and was dehydrated. I do not want this to happen for my second child. Can anybody give me suggestions? I need all the help I can get.

Default Re: HELP - Could not produce ANY milk...

Sorry to hear you had a rough time.
    How was the birth? this can often have a big effect on the success of nursing.
    having the baby put to your breast as soon as its born (even before the baby is cleaned and the cord is cut) can help. and drinking mothers milk tea or taking fenugreek can help too.
    Try seeing a good LC in advance and make sure you can see her as soon as the baby is born. when are you due?

Thanks! I had pre-eclampsia and had to have an emergency c-section. Because of this, I was given magnesium to stop any possible seisures (?). Since I was given magnesium, my DS had to be immediately taken to the infermery for observation for an hour. Once that was over, he was brought to me. Between the time he was born and a week after we left the hospital, my DS had lost close to 2 lbs - which they say is way to much. No one mentioned fenugreek (?) or any other substance to increase milk production. But, even if I chose to take the supplement, I had to at least give him some formula so that he could gain weight. How soon can you start taking the supplements? Can you take them right after you have the baby?

It's great that you're planning ahead!

Does the hospital you'll be delivering at have a lactation consultant? If possible, try to meet with her before the birth to discuss your situation. You can also contact your local LLL group and go to one of their meetings.

Regarding fenugreek, discuss with your OB or midwife how soon you can start it, I can't see any reason why you can't start right after the birth but I'm not an expert.

But take a look at these articles first:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html
    The most effective way to increase your milk supply is to have your baby suck at your breasts as often as possible. This will cue the milk production factory in your body that you need to produce more milk. You'll also need to make sure your baby is properly latched on. Was this determined with your previous baby?If the baby is not latched on properly, s/he won't get enough milk, no matter how much you are producing.

Even if your milk supply is a bit slow to start up that doesn't mean that it will always be low. Even if you must supplement, keep putting your baby to your breast, use a pump if necessary and your milk supply should increase within a few days.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. It was never determined if my DS had a weak latch. I do know that he was a VERY lazy eater, even with the bottle. I will definately contact a consultant to find more info out.