Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I start cereal?

Default Re: Should I start cereal?

I started with 1 tsp of cereal. I mix it with water to a thich consistency and then thin it out with some warm EBM.
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    This is so amazing to me...not that she called her a big girl, b/c I get that too...saying that should would need solids earlier than other infants. If she needed more calories, your body would make it. That's the whole supply/demand thing. Besides, a tablespoon of rice cereal has about 12 calories and only a fraction of a gram of that being protein. An ounce of breastmilk has around 20 calories and lots more goodness than a cereal... and .3 g of protein.

My dd is 6 months and still hasn't started solids. She has shown lots of interest but gags on everything. My big girl is not ready.

I know, I was suprised that she said that too. I thought that my LO was huge the way the ped said that, now I see here that other LO's are bigger then she is by a few pounds.

The only reasons we started her on solids were her interest in our food and her ability to sit up unsupported. She does love her food now!!
    All I do is

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)

We just had our 4mo check up as well. I was so disappointed that the doc said to start my son on cereal. He's 17.2 lbs and 26" long and is EBF. Then also she said something I thought was weird which was that he should eat rice cereal until 6 mos and then start fruit and veggies.

I was planning on starting with smashed banana in about a month.

I am having a hard time chosing between listening to her on this one or my judgment. BTW, he doesn't really show an interest in our food yet, he can sit assisted and wakes up 3x at night (which I am fine with).

Any advice?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I really think that until they start showing interest in "people" food, there is no reason to rush. As exciting as it is to start real food, they really don't need the additional nutrition from "food" for a while.

Plus baby food is expensive!!! We have only had the diapers/wipes expense so far. I wanted to do earth's best and dropped my jaw when I saw how expensive it was.
    All I do is

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)

I agree with those that are advising to wait. I have 4 children of which have been breastfed. One is a 2 month old so she's not applicable to this case but I will say out of my 3 older children I exclusively nursed 2 of them until they were 1 year old (under the advice and support of their pediatrician) The oldest I started giving cereal at 6 months as they advised and out of all of my children she is the only one that to this day has tummy problems she has acid reflux and there are many food she just can't tolerate. If your baby is big she will still get what she needs from your breastmilk. Empty calories found in rice cereal isnt very nutritional so its not really needed. Actually foods introduced in the first year of life are more about your baby learning to eat solids and doesn't have much to do with nutrition. They get all the nutrition they need from milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna562 View Post
    I was planning on starting with smashed banana in about a month.

I am having a hard time chosing between listening to her on this one or my judgment. BTW, he doesn't really show an interest in our food yet, he can sit assisted and wakes up 3x at night (which I am fine with).

Any advice?
    Starting with smashed banana is perfect!

Here are some links to help with your decision making:

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    Plus baby food is expensive!!!
    If you make your own, it's really CHEAP and fun and that's even buying organic produce.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Yes, you're supposed to mix the cereal with the breastmilk or formula. Personally, another downside to me because then you have to pump breast milk to mix with the cereal, or introduce some formula. Just my two cents. My dd is 4 mos, and we're going to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    Starting with smashed banana is perfect!

Here are some links to help with your decision making:

If you make your own, it's really CHEAP and fun and that's even buying organic produce.
    Thank you so much for the valuable links. There is a wealth of information here. I may try cereal tonight just to test if she has the tongue reflex or not. Maybe she is just going through a growth spurt. Thank you!!!

My lo is almost 6 months old. My doctor said the same thing. Including everyone else (in-laws and friends) but I am going to skip cereal all together. I just couldn't find a good reason. It is the least allergenic? That just doesn't seem like a good enough reason. I don't know, perhaps you can research the benefits of it. You can also research BLS method. That seems interesting. Anyway, there is the idea that whole foods are the best for baby. I would just weigh out the arguments and do what you think is best for your lo. By that way, I still have not started solids yet.