Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I start cereal?

Default Should I start cereal?

My LO will be five months old on 02/24. She weighed 16 lbs 10.5 ounces at her four month appt and wears size 6-9 months in clothes. She is EBF. My pediatrician said I should start cereals. I know they don't always know best and I have expressed to her that I intend on BF as long as I can. She isn't indicating that she is ready to eat but she is waking up two to three times at night to nurse. I returned to work in January and I BF her twice before doing to work and leave bottles with the day care person and then I nurse again when I'm home as much as she wants. I am wondering if maybe the cereal with help her. I don't want her to be hungry and I find that I'm exhausted all day because I am not resting. Please provide suggestions. Thanks!

Default Re: Should I start cereal?

My dd just had her 4mo. ped visit as well & was 16 lbs. For what it's worth, my ped said I could try rice cereal "if I want to, but there's no nutritional need to". She said if I did to see if she still thrusts her tongue out & if so, she's not ready, but the only thing that was really important was that she learn to eat by the time she's 1. Personally, I'm not ready to go there yet at 4mos, but if you think your little one is ready, you could always try and see. I don't think trying it commits you to it long term. However, I have seen some posts about constipation problems & other complaints about cereal, I'm sure others can contribute more on this.

My DD just had her 6 month appointment on Saturday & I still haven't introduced solids yet. My doctor said the tide is starting to turn & many doctor's are starting to advise to wait beyond 6 months to start (they used to say to start cereal at 8 weeks, then 4 months, then 4-6 months, now 6 months). He said we could start at anytime, but there's really no rush.

I know each parent has to decide this for themselves, but I tend to agree with him. DD seems to be doing very well on just breastmilk & I'm thinking I'll wait at least another month or two before I consider introducing anything.

i started cereal at 4.5 months. my lo didnt have the tounge thrust thingy (like the Terminology lol) and was tryn to grab my food when i ate.
    every baby is different. just trust your instinct and your babies cues. youll both know when your lo is ready.

My LO just had her 4 month appointment, and at her 3 month appt, my ped suggested starting her on cereal... She is very supportive of BF, but she says that my LO is a "big girl" and would need to start solids sooner then other infants. She is 20 weeks tomorrow and is 13 lbs 15 oz and 24.75 inches. She is not a "big girl" and I was upset to hear her pushing solids.

We did start her on cereal last week because she was so interested in what we were eating, trying to grab things off my plate and grabbing my fork while eating. She sits unsupported and has also started trying to crawl, and she is soooo active when she is awake, she was starving at night, taking 16-20 oz of EBM overnight.

I do think that every baby is different..I did not want to start solids till 6 months, but she has taken to them so well that we started fruit on Saturday.

I would just take cues from you LO. Is they are ready, they will tell you.
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Thanks to you all for responding. My daughter does not even turn yet, let alone sit. I haven't even put her in the high chair yet but the day care provider does sit her there. She will look at us when we eat but she is in her swing and she just smiles and coos. My only indicating is that she wakes up so much. I don't know what to do. I just don't want to deprive her if she is waking up because she is hungry. Maybe I will try tonite to see if she takes a little cereal and if she doesn't than maybe she isn't ready?? Did it take your LO's time to adjust to a spoon?

My LO will only eat from the spoon if it is sideways, she will not take it into her mouth the "normal" way. She does love her cereal now, she never gagged or did the toung thrust move. It did take a few days for her to understand what to do with it once it was in her mouth. Now she eats like a champ!!

I let her chew on the empty spoon after we are done eating, so she can get used to it being in her mouth.
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    My LO just had her 4 month appointment, and at her 3 month appt, my ped suggested starting her on cereal... She is very supportive of BF, but she says that my LO is a "big girl" and would need to start solids sooner then other infants. She is 20 weeks tomorrow and is 13 lbs 15 oz and 24.75 inches. She is not a "big girl" and I was upset to hear her pushing solids.
    This is so amazing to me...not that she called her a big girl, b/c I get that too...saying that should would need solids earlier than other infants. If she needed more calories, your body would make it. That's the whole supply/demand thing. Besides, a tablespoon of rice cereal has about 12 calories and only a fraction of a gram of that being protein. An ounce of breastmilk has around 20 calories and lots more goodness than a cereal... and .3 g of protein.

My dd is 6 months and still hasn't started solids. She has shown lots of interest but gags on everything. My big girl is not ready.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I am going to try it to see what she does. Now, how much would I give her? My pediatrician mentioned mixing a little bit of breast milk with like a tablespoon of the cereal. Does that sound right?

Did you read about any of the reasons not to introduce solids before six months? Are you interested? I could get you some links.

Here are a couple off the top of my head:

(1) increased risk of food allergies
    (2) the lining of the digestive tract is not yet "complete" and has difficulty processing anything but breastmilk or its substitute, formula
    Last edited by NolaMomma; February 12th, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.