Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixed advice...so confused

Default Re: Mixed advice...so confused

You are so wise and full of good info.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

So is the only reason I am suppose to avoid a food is if there is a family history of allergy or if she has shown signs of a allergy? So wheat is okay if she does not react poorly?

Thanks for all the advice on berries. I was giving her blueberries and a organic baby food for 6 month old that had raspberries in it. She had a stomach ache and I thought blueberries but it must be the rasp....

Thanks so much.

It amazes me to see that many baby foods contain berries, milk, and cinnamon, which is also allergenic for some babies.

Quote Originally Posted by CortneyRose View Post
    So is the only reason I am suppose to avoid a food is if there is a family history of allergy or if she has shown signs of a allergy? So wheat is okay if she does not react poorly?

Thanks for all the advice on berries. I was giving her blueberries and a organic baby food for 6 month old that had raspberries in it. She had a stomach ache and I thought blueberries but it must be the rasp....

Thanks so much.
    In my opinion - introducing foods is a very tricky subject and comes down to personal comfort level.

There are some foods that pretty universally seem to be recommended to wait and introduce after one year. These are things like strawberry, whole eggs, citrus, honey (botulism risk, not allergies).

For things like wheat - I've read lots of very conflicting information & recommendations. We have adult friends with wheat allergy / gluten intolerance so based on that decided that we felt more comfortable waiting on wheat with our DS. Healthymama probably has more info about wheat? Can you help here?

I'm a bit passionate about introducing foods because of our experience. Neither DH or I have any history of food allergies, yet we found out the hard way that our DS is allergic to many foods (cow milk, eggs, sesame, tree nuts, peanuts & cinnamon).

I only found out recently that ANY parental history of allergies (can be environmental allergies - things like cats, dogs, pollen) increases the probability that a LO will have food allergies.

Again - a lot is personal comfort. We felt more comfortable taking a cautious approach and were glad that we did. It was a little inconvenient - but only for a couple of months.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas's Mum View Post
    It amazes me to see that many baby foods contain berries, milk, and cinnamon, which is also allergenic for some babies.
    - don't get me started on this topic!
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    For things like wheat - I've read lots of very conflicting information & recommendations. We have adult friends with wheat allergy / gluten intolerance so based on that decided that we felt more comfortable waiting on wheat with our DS. Healthymama probably has more info about wheat? Can you help here?
    The information in my head is kind of a compilation of several sources, so I'll do my best to find some stuff that's on-topic.

Timeline of introducing food groups
    At One Year
    Grains, nuts and seeds should be the last food given to babies. This food category has the most potential for causing digestive disturbances or allergies. Babies do not produce the needed enzymes to handle cereals, especially gluten-containing grains like wheat, before the age of one year. Even then, it is a common traditional practice to soak grains in water and a little yogurt or buttermilk for up to 24 hours. This process jump-starts the enzymatic activity in the food and begins breaking down some of the harder-to-digest components.1 The easiest grains to digest are those without gluten like brown rice. When grains are introduced, they should be soaked for at least 24 hours and cooked with plenty of water for a long time. This will make a slightly sour, very thin porridge that can be mixed with other foods.29

After one year, babies can be given nut butters made with crispy nuts (recipe in Nourishing Traditions), cooked leafy green vegetables, raw salad vegetables, citrus fruit and whole egg.
    Wheat, gluten intolerance, celiac disease

That pretty much covers it, but they are not the only source I've found along my journey. I just can't think of the others off-hand. Hope it helps!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    You are so wise and full of good info.
    Thanks - although I'd say instead that I have a healthy respect for food allergies after seeing what my own LO has been through and reading the very scary stories of mamas here and on www.kidswithfoodallergies.org who have LO who have had life-threatening reactions to foods. Very scary and very sobering.
    Lynn