Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixed advice...so confused

Red face Mixed advice...so confused

My baby is 9 months now and I am giving her more and more new things. I read and have heard different advice on wheat, pasta, beans, cheese etc...Some advice is that they are fine and that pasta especially is a an easy first food for baby because of the texture. Other times I hear that these foods can cause allergies.

Does anyone really know the truth about wheat, pasta, beans, cheese etc...? Why can you give them yogurt and not milk? Also, I gave her blueberries yesterday...is that an okay food for babies?

Thanks so much I am so confused.

Default Re: Mixed advice...so confused

if there is a history of allergies, you'd do well to avoid wheat, which can be an allergen until the year point. They aren't supposed to have cow's milk until after a year but other dairy products cam be introduced between 8-10months...I can't remember why...it's been a while...blueberries are fine because they aren't real berries. Strawberries and other real berries are also a high allergic risk and should not be introduced until after the year point. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Some resources that I found helpful when we were starting DS on solids:

first foods
    feeding at a glance - birth to 24 months
    sequence of adding solids for the allergic infant
    food allergy info

Although it seems like a PITA to wait between offering new foods and to hold off on some foods until your LO is a little older, as the mom of a LO with multiple food allergies .... IMO being a little cautious when starting solids is a very good idea.

We didn't do wheat with DS until after he was 12 mo old. Before then we ate rice pasta - which is actually quite good!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    if there is a history of allergies, you'd do well to avoid wheat, which can be an allergen until the year point. They aren't supposed to have cow's milk until after a year but other dairy products cam be introduced between 8-10months...I can't remember why...it's been a while...blueberries are fine because they aren't real berries. Strawberries and other real berries are also a high allergic risk and should not be introduced until after the year point. HTH!
    Cheese and yogurt have been cultured, so the lactose has been broken down and accompanied by additional lactase to aide in digestion. They also contain extra probiotics and enzymes that make them easier to digest than regular milk.

From what I understand, blueberries are actual berries. Strawberries are not, which you can tell because the seeds are on the outside, but berry seeds are on the inside of the fruit. They seem to fall in the same category as kiwis, pineapple and citrus, but I don't know why.

Gluten is also a big allergen, so wheat and other glutenous grains (all grains IMO) should be avoided till at least one year.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Cheese and yogurt have been cultured, so the lactose has been broken down and accompanied by additional lactase to aide in digestion. They also contain extra probiotics and enzymes that make them easier to digest than regular milk.

From what I understand, blueberries are actual berries. Strawberries are not, which you can tell because the seeds are on the outside, but berry seeds are on the inside of the fruit. They seem to fall in the same category as kiwis, pineapple and citrus, but I don't know why.

Gluten is also a big allergen, so wheat and other glutenous grains (all grains IMO) should be avoided till at least one year.
    Thanks for the 1st part that sounds right.

But the 2nd part isn't right. Check KellyMom. Strawberries are actually the highest berry allergy berry there is I believe. Check KellyMom. I can't give you any links. But when my baby was small Annie (Paint the Moon) actually sent me the info on berries because she let Addie have them before a year and Blueberries aren't really berries. I think the link was KellyMom.com

Way too lazy for formula

Blueberries are most closely related to cranberries and are not at all related to things like strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.

According to the sequence of adding foods for the allergic infant and the food allergen scale - blueberries are among the LEAST allergenic fruits and ok to introduce between 6 to 9 mo.

Strawberries and raspberries are among the MOST allergenic fruits and the recommendation is to wait until after 12 mo.

The botanical definition of berry is totally different (and a bit irrelevant here).

The important part is what food are considered highly allergenic and are recommended to wait before giving to LO.

If you're concerned about food allergies, IMO it's best to follow some of the well established guidelines for introducing foods. With the awareness that it is possible to be allergic to anything. There is a mom here with a LO who has anaphylaxic reactions to pear, which is generally considered one of the least allergenic fruits.

Food allergies are scary and are potentially life-threatening and life-long.

A general request - if you aren't sure that you have accurate info about food allergies, please do NOT give advice. Well intentioned but inaccurate information could be very dangerous!
    Lynn

Okay dokay - I did some poking around and found what looks like a good source that shows what foods are closely related to each other. I have more info from our dietitian - but it's all hard copy.
    Lynn

Info on what is a berry (from a botanical definition).

A berry develops from an ovary containing one or more carpels. Each carpel contains one or more ovules, so berries typically contain more than one seed. Examples include grapes and gooseberries. A tomato also is classified as a berry. Cut in half, a tomato displays distinct sections, each representing a separate carpel with many seeds.

There are several different types of berries. A true berry has a relatively soft pericarp with a thin exocarp or skin. Examples of true berries include the tomato, pepper, eggplant, grape, and persimmon. A pepo is a berry with a comparatively thick exocarp, or rind—cantaloupe, watermelon, pumpkin, cucumber, and squash are pepos. A hesperidium is a berry with a leathery skin containing oils. All citrus fruits, including oranges, lemons, and grapefruits, are hesperidiums. Some fruits with the word berry in their names, such as raspberry and strawberry, develop differently and are not really berries at all.
    And wikipedia has a nice summary of what are berries (and not) with links at the bottom.
    Lynn

For the record, I didn't advise anyone to do or not do anything. If I'm unsure of something I qualify my statement with this information and also indicate if something is just my opinion.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    For the record, I didn't advise anyone to do or not do anything. If I'm unsure of something I qualify my statement with this information and also indicate if something is just my opinion.
    Thanks! I was posting to support your statement about what foods are botanically considered berries (or not).

But wanted to make sure that people are considering what foods are thought to be the most highly allergenic, rather than just going by the name "berry".

Which is very confusing when you're trying to sort out blueberries (true berries) being considered less allergenic vs. things like strawberries (which sound like they are berries but technically are not) being high on the allergenic foods list.

Lynn