Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: WOH and transitioning to "nursing after age one"

Default WOH and transitioning to "nursing after age one"

I have a question I didn't see answered on here. My DD (11 mo next week) drinks only BM (from "the tap" or a bottle) and water (from a sippy or non-sippy cup). I WOH so she drinks two 5 ounce bottles while I'm gone, then nurses when I get home and all night (varies by the night). She eats two meals of self-fed solids a day (so she determines what and how much to eat). The pediatrician wants: 1. us to dump the bottle by a year and switch to a cup, 2. switch to primarily solids, so three meals a day, 3. decrease total milk (BM or cows milk, or whatever she can drink as she is possibly lactose intolerant) to 12-15 ounces per day, all by 1 year. We are going to wait until she is past a year to institute any of these.

My question is: should I offer her BM in cups in smaller quantities during the day so I can keep nursing evenings and nights, or should I keep the BM quantity up during the day and try to start to night-wean after a year?

Honestly, I really don't want to night wean quite yet. I do have several international business trips planned for May and June, so I thought of letting my DH work on night weaning while I was gone (she wakes less when she is offered a bottle or cup and when she can't smell me). I thought it might be easier on everyone at that time.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or advice!

Kristine

Default Re: WOH and transitioning to "nursing after age one"

heres a good link about cows milk and toddlers....
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

you don't have to give her cows milk if you don't want to there are plenty of people on earth that don't drink cows milk that are healthy....
    as far as limiting the breast you don't need to do that either, your milk is best for baby as long as you continue to nurse.

I think he's full of it. Breastmilk will continue to benefit your child past 1 yr in the same ways it benefits now, there's no need to reduce any kind of breastmilk intake if she's eating solids well, and it sounds like she is. My ped just checked at our 1yr visit if I wanted to keep nursing, said he only recommends cow's milk if I didn't want to, and no mention of limiting the amount. I mean think about it, why would you want to restrict a good nutrient like milk and substitute it for other liquids that are nutrient poor in comparison?

I did give up pumping around this time b/c mine drank so little while I was gone my LC said they didn't need it, but have no plans to night wean anytime soon. I think it's your own personal preference, do you find the pumping or night-time nursing tedious? I don't really mind nursing at night so am not motivated to night-wean, but hated my pump. And really, if your LO will nurse 1x in the morning and 2x in the evening that would be enough, they need to nurse at least 3x a day over 1yr. Mine nurse A LOT more than that though, even around my work schedule. The WHO recommends breastfeeding till at least 2yrs old.

Thanks so much. I'm not going to switch to cows milk. I am going to offer her a little as my stash of frozen BM tapers in a few months, but I'm pretty sure she's lactose intolerant. At least that is what I tell people who ask (and will ask) why I'm still BF! If/when I run out, I will think about switching then. I am offering yogurt and cheese, so it's not like she isn't getting ANY other calcium.

I HATE pumping, so I like the idea to really offer the breast right before leaving in the morning and right when I get home. I will, of course, continue to leave a cup of BM for drinking with meals (and water is an option there, too). I guess I just wanted confirmation that it was OK to keep night nursing and work on cutting back the BM during the day so I could stop pumping!

I never thought I'd make it to a year, so now I love the thought I have to make a plan for nursing PAST a year!!!!!

My doctor said to let DD have as much BM as she wanted after she turned 1!!!

She did say that if we introduced cow milk to limit it to 2 cups per day. I think that is because cow milk interferes with the absorption of other nutrients like iron. Also, some babies do not like the taste of cow milk in the begining because it is not as sweet as bm. Some mothers mix the two for a while until the baby is used to the new taste.

It is pretty typical for doctors to recommend lo stop taking a bottle and transition to a cup at 1 year. You can give the bm in a cup, though, if you want. I also think it is pretty typical for most kids by one year of age to be eating 3 meals and 2 snacks. This does not mean you have to. You are the mother and get to make that decision. But, a lot of one year olds do eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. They don't have to be large meals.
    Last edited by Lainey's Mom; February 12th, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I have to chuckle at "three meals and two snacks." My DH is a SAHD and he thinks all she does is eat when he feeds her breakfast and dinner. LOL When he heard we were going to be adding lunch in a month he said "man, we won't be able to go anywhere!" LOL

I don't think I'll tell him about the snacks yet, but she does usually have a snack while we eat dinner, because she eats earlier than we do.

Trust your instincts, you know what you're doing! We just gave water as I was weaning from the pump, and they are offered water at every meal and snack now. I didn't see the point to getting them used to cow's milk, if they want milk I would rather they get it from me. We also offer yogurt, cheese or cottage cheese at every meal so that if they actually didn't nurse enough that day they would have enough calcium, but so far they've always nursed at least 3x. They cluster nurse 2-3x in the morning and 2-3x in the evening, and Gwen still likes to nurse at night while Jules rarely does.