Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old gags on bottle and nipple

Default 2 month old gags on bottle and nipple

My 2-month old DD is refusing to drink expressed milk from a bottle, gagging on it and now is periodically gagging on my nipple when BF as well. She is to go to daycare for 2 days/week in 3 weeks, and I'm getting very concerned. My DH has been trying to give her a bottle once/day since she was 5 weeks old, and it has been very unsuccessful. Especially at night, she wants to BF before going to sleep for the night, and freaks out if it is a bottle. We have tried a few different bottles, few different nipples, different temperatures, etc. She GAGS, and it's awful. LC suggested she needs to suck for comfort, so try a pacifier to soothe that craving before/after, and she GAGS on that too!!

Default Re: 2 month old gags on bottle and nipple

There are several possible reasons for this, only you are there and can try to figure out why she's gagging on things.

She could be gagging because of the flow of the milk coming into her mouth, both from the bottle and your breasts. It's just too fast for her.

She could be gagging because the bottle nipple or pacifier goes too far back in her mouth, triggering a gag reflex.

She could be gagging because she's pulling her tongue back into her mouth when she latches on to your breast, the bottle, or the pacifier.

She may not like the taste of the bottle nipple/pacifier - have you tried silicone and rubber?

She could even be gagging because she just doesn't want anything in her mouth at that moment, and that's her way of telling you.

Some people just have a more sensitive gag reflex than others, maybe she's one of them?

There are other ways to get milk into a baby when you're not around - medicine dropper, periodontal syringe, spoon, medicine cup, shot glass, plus some specially made silicone cups.

Occasionally, infants will gag on stuff when they have thrush, too. It hurts to eat.

What do you think?
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thank you Shannon... My son is doing the same thing
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Thank you for the helpful info. Since i posted the question, she has taken some milk (approx. 1-1 1/2 oz.) from a bottle from my sister-in-law while we were gone for a few hours. She heated the milk tons and ran hot water over the nipple to warm it as well just before feeding her. She has also been trying to suck on her hands and fingers a lot, but if I offer her a pacifier at the times she's really trying to suck for comfort, she still gags.

My son also has a sensitive gag, he's 3 and he pukes when he has a cold from coughing and gagging. However, he BF for 13 months and never gagged on any of the nipples offered, and transitioned to a bottle while I worked easily.

We have very slow-flow nipples, but she may still not be ready for the teeny trickle of milk that seems to pool at the back of her throat, so I got the breastflow bottle by the 1st years, after reading on other forums about success with those. The type of nipple encourages them to suck a few times before milk even comes out, more like BF, waiting for the let-down. Of course, this is all speculation on my part...and hoping! My husband is trying this type of bottle with her for the first time tonight.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Please tell me how the new bottle worked. My 6-week old is completely refusing bottles an d I return to work on Monday. YIKES!!!!

I've finally returned to report that the Breastflow by the First Years has worked, and she is doing great! Our first day at daycare, she only took 1-2 oz. per feeding, and nursed like crazy at night. Then the second day (she only goes 2 days/week) the caregiver turned the lights out and held her close to feed her, and she took the whole thing, and did so for the rest. It's now been 4 weeks and she no longer needs the lights out. My mother in law also took care of her last week while we went out, and she took the bottle fine from her too! Yay! The Breastflow is wonderful!