Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night shift questions--I'm really anxious!!

Default Re: Night shift questions--I'm really anxious!!

I work in a hospital at night but as a lab tech. I pump in the lactation room they have set up near the childbirth center. If you have one, call them, maybe the postpartum area. they will probably even have a pump you can use with your own attachements. Good luck! My dh is still trying to get our LO used to the bottle. She is almost 11 weeks now.

Default Re: Night shift questions--I'm really anxious!!

I work as a nurse too, the dreaded 12's. At first I came straight home and just took care of my son. He's not a great napper either, so I was just a grumpy zombie. Then hubby's work decided they wanted to let him telecommute, so his hours are much more flexible now. He just watches DS while I sleep, and brings him in to nurse when he needs it.

I did only go back 2 nights a week. Sure, I could use the extra money of working 3....but it's not worth it to me now. You can't buy back time with your baby. I do understand though that cutting hours or expenses may not be an option for everyone.

As far as where to pump, I go to the OB dept. and use whatever open room they have, and just clean up well when I'm done. Sometimes if it's busy for them I use the nursery. I work on in critical care, and both units i work for are very co-ed, so the break room is not an option if I don't want men barging in...and I say "no-way" to pumping in a bathroom too. Nobody else would eat in there, why should my baby?

Anyway, it can be done. I agree that having someone in your home watch the baby- so they can nurse when they need to- is the best option, if you can find someone to do that.

I went back when DS was 4 mos, and he'll be 1 year this month. It's still working for me, although I get razzed a bit: "You're still BF? How long you gonna keep that up?".