Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weddiing and babysitter

Default Weddiing and babysitter

We are leaving CT for VA Thursday and my husband brother is getting married. His family has thoughtfully secured a babysitter for my 6 month old son. My husbands mom has suggested that I stock up on pumped bottles. She gave me the itinerary for the 2 days. Friday night he will be with baby sitter from 4:30 - 10p then on saturday from 10:30 am to 10:30 p.m..

I called the bride and we made arrangements that I can miss some activities putting him at the babysitters from 6:30 - 10 p.m. friday and 3:30 - 10:30 saturday

I have not had an issue with supply. but for the past three weeks I've been trying to stock up on bottles. I started with adding a pumping session. Unfortunately it hasn't been at the same time. I've been drinking lots of water, mothers milk tea, and staying away from caffeine and alcohol. however I only have 5 bottles of 4 oz each. I told my husband that if I am going to leave him for the whole time and not the adjusted time then I will need at least 7-8 bottles of 4 oz.

My husbands suggestion was to give the babysitter formula just incase he gets hungry and they are out of bottles.

He's teething, he eats solids, he's been so fussy lately that nursing all the time helps him, which may be why I can't pump a lot because he drains me all the time all day and night.

So I would like some advice on maybe increasing my supply in the next three days, or what to tell the babysitter if I can only give her 5 bottles

Default Re: Weddiing and babysitter

could you take a break from some of the things the family wants you to do to go and feed the baby? I don't think anybody would miss you for awhile like between the wedding and the dinner afterwards. Not like you are the bride
    let your hubby be at all the family stuff. His family will get over it.
    is your baby the 1st grandchild? Sometimes in-laws forget what its like to have a new baby in the family. And a breastfeed one at that.... oh my!
    is the baby sitter watching the baby at the wedding place or someplace else?

she's watching him at my sister inlaws house with her two boys 1.5 and 2.

problem is the house is an hour away from the recepption. The bride is fine with me taking him to the church just not the reception, so i thought of that but that would make me almost two hours late to the reception

By all means, be respectful to the bride's wishes not to have children at her wedding, but have you tried asking with a little more force? explain to her the situation and gently convince her that having the baby there wouldnt be a problem... after all, he is jsut a 6 mo bf baby!

Perhaps you can find another sitter who is closer to the wedding?

Fenugreek can be good to increase production - take a couple of capsules 3x day for at least a week. it probably doesnt help you now, but... it might!

Can you pump and nurse at the same time? If so, try it on the first nursing session of the day - that's when your supply is at its highest. After you are done pumping the one side and your little one is done nursing on the other, switch. I hope this helps.

I just pumped and breastfed at the same time and i only got 2 oz. which is what i've been getting even when i double pump. so I have no idea what's going on. I can't think that my supply is low because he hasn't dropped any feedings, and I know pumping is no indicator of how much milk I'm making, just can't figure out why I can't get more than 2 oz

edit
    my MIL just called and told me that the babysitter canceld. My SIL is devestated and can't miss the wedding cuz she's in it, and my husbands in it, so that means I think they want me to watch the three kids. Not thrilled about it but at least I don't have to worry about the babysitter.
    Last edited by Rowansmom; July 5th, 2006 at 03:11 PM.

oh no! Well at least you don't have to worry about the sitter and the baby.
    My hubby and I had a wedding to go to when our son was about 2.
    It was the 1st time and only time that I had left him with my mil...(long story) we were the 1st to leave the party aterwards because I was not haveing any fun. I was just worried about what my little guy was doing.
    Good luck!

I was in a wedding last month and with all the stress, I was not able to pump enough for ds to be away from me. I explained the situation with my cousin and she was very understanding. I took ds with me everywhere (pedicures, bridal luncheon, rehearsal dinner, and wedding). The only time he was away from me was the day of the wedding. We spend most of the day getting ready. DH brought him out to me at lunchtime and then he did not get to nurse until after the ceremony. It worked out that I was able to pump enough for 2 bottles, but they were not as much as I would normally give him (about 4 oz).
    The bad thing was. When my DH was sleeping my brother's girlfriend took it upon herself to feed Michael banana's because she did not think 3 TBSP of cereal was enough to keep him happy. I was SOOOOO mad. She did not even call and ask me if it was okay. Needless to say, she will not be watching ds anymore!!
    It kind of sucks your sil will not make an exception for a nursing mother of an infant child. I hope you have a good time-at least you don't have to worry about pumping enough milk!!