Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: doesn't like rice cereal?

Default doesn't like rice cereal?

I started my DD on rice cereal when she was 5 1/2 monnths and she did great! now we are in Bolivia visiting my family and I gave her rice cereal again and she vomited ( I mixed it with bottled water ), then I tried a week later ( mixed it with my milk ) and she vomited again!

Did this happen to any of you?

TIA!

Default Re: doesn't like rice cereal?

We didn't have the same reaction, but my DD never had rice cereal! She wouldn't eat it, and after reading many, many, many posts on here, we decided that she didn't need it!

You'll find lots of information on these forums about Baby-Led Solids, or BLS. If you are nursing, there is no reason to force your child to eat that highly-processed cereal. You can offer large pieces of soft fruits or veggies such as banana or avocado or sweet potato. Or you can mash those foods up and feed them with a spoon.

You may find that, at just 5 1/2 months, your LO just isn't ready for "solids" yet. There really is no reason to push, as anything besides nursing during LOs first 12 months is just for exploration and fun rather than nutrition. Also, if your LO does begin to take solids, be sure to nurse first!

I'm sorry I didn't have any similar experiences to share, but hope that you will be able to find the help you need here at LLL!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Yes! This happened to us with my second son! He had it for a few weeks probably and then, all of a sudden, couldn't tolerate it anymore. We took it out of his diet and no vomiting. We did oatmeal instead which he tolerated just fine. You could try that. Or like the OP said, you could hold off on solids for a few more weeks.

Hope that helps!

Kristi

What kind of oatmeal is recommended? I use organic whole grain rice cereal for DD and she seems to like it. No reactions or anything. But everyone on this forum and others have me freaked out about rice cereal! I gave it to DS when he was a baby and he's just fine. However, I didn't bf him. And I guess it looks like there is more known about it now.

Is there a baby oatmeal available? What do you use?

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Yes, you can find it next to the rice cereal in the baby food section. I think we always used Gerber. I think you could probably use regular oatmeal after a while when baby doesn't need foods to be really smooth, but to start with, the baby cereal works nicely.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post
    What kind of oatmeal is recommended? I use organic whole grain rice cereal for DD and she seems to like it. No reactions or anything. But everyone on this forum and others have me freaked out about rice cereal! I gave it to DS when he was a baby and he's just fine. However, I didn't bf him. And I guess it looks like there is more known about it now.

We use Earth's Best. It's suppose to be less processed. You can also make your own. All it takes is oatmeal and a blender.
    ~*~LaDonna~*~

Wife to David 08.10.03
    Mommy to Elijah 12.4.05, born 3 weeks early and who self-weaned at 16 months
    Milk Bar to Liliana 08.10.07

♥Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone~♥

I'm a mama and proud of it!

yup you can make your own oatmeal
    Some babies are senstive to the added iron and some baby cereals have soy added too. Check the box well...

We skipped cereals and purees, FWIW.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.