Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Alternatives to Bottle

Default Alternatives to Bottle

I have to go back to work on August 23rd and have been trying to give 9 week old DD a bottle since 6 weeks, with no luck. I am going out to get different bottles today, but I'm wondering what I can do if she never takes it? I know I have plenty of time to work with her on the bottle, but I'm a new mom and I worry about everything. I know there are alternatives like sippy cups, eye droppers, etc. Is there anything I need to do in advance to get her eatting from these? Any info. or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated because I'm starting to get really concerned. Sadly, postponing work is not an option.

Default Re: Alternatives to Bottle

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

heres some good info..
    you might find that your baby waits untill you come home, or she eats alot a night to make up for not being with you during the day.
    theres some good ideas here :
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

I bet as soon as she gets used to the day care she will do just fine.

my dd took a bottle at 4 weeks and refused all bottles by 8 weeks. so there are no guarentees. i even spent oddles of $$$$$$$$$$ buying all different bottles/nipples, including one shaped like a breast (didn't work).

however, once she was in daycare, she eventually adjusted and started taking bottles. it took several months of her taking some feedings/refusing others. but she eventually learned to accept (not like) taking my milk from a bottle. babies are v. adaptable and things work out in the end.

If your baby really does reject the bottle, then she can probably drink from a cup if her caregiver has a littel patience or a sippy cup.
    I never even tried to give my dd a bottle, and on the odd occasion that she needed to be fed when I wasnt around, we used a regluar drinking straw. you put the straw into the milk (helps to have a tall narrow container), put your finger tightly over the top of the straw, drip the other end of the straw into baby's mouth and slowly release your finger, allowing the milk to drain into babys mouth.
    our dd got really good at drinking efficiently in this way, but it may not be a really practical long-term solution.
    go for the sippy cup...

Majikfaerie, that's a good solution. I'm going to remember that one!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!