Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning let downs

Default weaning let downs

Ok, its been at least a week since I cut out all day nursings and I'm still experiencing a little engorgement by 7 pm....and my dd doesn't nurse for the night until around 9 pm and so on throughout the night. Also, I am still continually having let downs throughout the day. Is this normal? And how long does it take for the let downs to stop and milk to slow down production during the day. My dd only nurses at night...after I wean her from the night feedings will I continue to have let downs and engorgement after we are completely weaned? How soon after weaning does all that stop, or does it continue to happen until you are completely dried up? The let downs make me extremely self-conscious...well because they are a little painful (always have been for me) and the only way I know how to stop them from leaking all over my shirt (regardless of pads) is to hold down the nipples to stop the flow....which is very tricky to do in public. thanks for any suggestions and advice!!

Default Re: weaning let downs

Sounds like you might be a little bit engorged and the breasts are leaking from pressure. Have you tried cabbage compresses? Lots of peppermint tea is supposed to help with producing less milk. Are you squeezing any milk out during the day/ any nipple stimulation? This should be avoided.
    What sort of bra are you wearing?

Sage is good for reducing supply too. I weaned to almost nothing and it took about a week to stop having letdowns.

I either wear a sporty nursing bra or no bra at all. And for the peppermint and sage teas...can I drink them if my dd is still nursing at night? Or is it only used for after we are completely weaned (not safe for breastfeeding baby)? And is it found in any local grocery store or do I need to go somewhere special to find them?

I think peppermint is safe to drink in a tea if you are nursing. I've purchased peppermint tea at the grocery store before. You'll need to drink LOTS of it to have an effect.
    http://kellymom.com/herbal/ref/herbs_p.html#peppermint

Here is some info about the sage:
    http://kellymom.com/herbal/ref/herbs_s.html#sage
    http://kellymom.com/herbal/milksuppl...versupply.html
    From what is said here, I guess you shouldn't bother with it, simply because it could have a few side effects and may decrease your supply TOO much if you are still going to nurse at night. You'd have to be really careful if you decided to use the sage.

Okay, thanks for posting those sites...they were really helpful. I guess I need to go to the grocery store and see what they have on hand. I don't plan on continuing the night feedings...I plan to wean those to, I just haven't yet because I still have so much milk left. Thanks again for the information!!!

cabbage is safe unless you have sulfa allergies.