Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: excessive spit-up yesterday - please help!

Unhappy excessive spit-up yesterday - please help!

Yesterday DS (age 14 weeks) spit up A LOT all day. He went down for his naps as usual, but woke up sooner than usual because of spit up. He also had a couple of incidents of choking (although they weren't severe). We're thinking this is reflux, but we're reluctant to take DS to the ped. because we're scared that she's going to tell us to put him on medication for it, which we really don't want to do if there are other options. This morning after he nursed we fed him some rice cereal (which he seems to love). I just called home (I work full-time), and my mom said that he's doing fine - no spit up - and he'd been sleeping for about 1/2 hour when I called. Do you think yesterday could have been some sort of a fluke? Maybe he was just having a bad day? Maybe it was something I ate? We had visitors at our house yesterday for the Fourth - I don't know if that could have something to do with it?

If you have any suggestions or words of wisdom, I'd love to hear them - I'm worried sick about poor DS.

Default Re: excessive spit-up yesterday - please help!

Yep, it could be just a fluke day. I wouldnt worry too much, these things can happen - just keep a good eye on him.
    I would suggest that 14 weeks is quite young to be on rice cereal, as generally babies younger than 6 months have a very immature digestive system that can't always handle solids (even though the baby might seem happy to eat them)
    If the spitting up gets worse, I would try cutting back on the cereal for a start. but in the end, babies do sometimes spit up.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html#normal

heres a good link from kelly moms.. lots of good info

some babies spit up alot.. hows the babies out put? 5-6 wet diapars a day, at least 3 poops the size of a quarter? Is he growing, gettting taller?
    somebabies need to held up right after feeds and it helps them to sleep at an angle like in a car seat or bouncy chair.
    agree with the pp on the cereal it might be too soon and thats why hes having problems.

Just to clarify - we gave him the rice cereal after the spit-up (none before) day because we read that since the cereal is heavier it helps the milk stay down in his tummy. He's gaining weight (about 13 pounds at 14 weeks), and has a normal amount of wet and dirty diapers. Thanks for your replies.