Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to say tomorrow:-(

Default What to say tomorrow:-(

Sigh.... We have our next appt at the paediatric gastronenterologist tomorrow and I just know she is going to freak out because my LO has not put on much weight in 3 months! I think he's put on about 400g (1lb). Some days he eats like an absolute piglet with 3 meals and plenty of snacks and fruit as well as a bottle of BM and water, but sometimes he goes for about 3 days with not eating much at all - on those days I don't force him as I don't want feeding times to become a huge big issue. He is generally a really picky eater and will not eat vegetables at all, but does eat quite a bit of meat and oats and fruit as well as snacks. I guess what I am asking is what do I tell the doctor when she goes off about his lack of weight gain? He seems healthy and active but is on the really small side now weighs 8.5Kg's about 18.7lbs and he is 18 months old. He's not especially tall either.

I am just so sick of Doctors and their charts, to me my son is healthy and happy just really small - by the way my husband is only 5"9 and I am 5"3 so we are small people too.

Also, I am sick of defending my position of BF'ding too, she will make comments like "you are still nursing?" and give me a really weird - I am a nut job look and tells me from a nutritional point of view it's not a good source (I know better) - DS is allergic to dairy and soy. She wanted me to try him again on Pediasure - he will not drink it (I know it has milk solids in too), I can't exactly ram it down his throat, he has a taste and throws the bottle on the floor.

Just feeling exasperated and need a little encouragement and helpful suggestions to ward of the Doctor would be most welcome.

Thanks

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg

Default Re: What to say tomorrow:-(

are you keeping a food diary?
    that might help. Not for the appointment this time but maybe for next time.
    If your not comfortable with the pedisure don't use it.

no suggestions really, but my lo is only 18lbs at 15 mo old. he has been at this weight for a while. he has not been on the charts at all since he was about 5 mo. my ped is not concerned because he has hit all his milestones. he is just small. just wanted to show support from someone in the same boat!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

On one hand, I would be willing to bet that your baby will not be the worst case this dr. has ever seen and will not freak out. You're going this next step because you've been sent to see if there is a potential problem s/he can help treat. On the other hand, if s/he does freak out, shame on them! Listen to what they have to say, and if there's any freaking out, report them to the medical board. Dr.'s are supposed to help parents, not scare them. You're doing your best with your child. You're neither depriving him of food nor force-feeding him, which is what any book I have read would say.

The ped. who referred you is probably just doing a C.Y.A. (cover your a#*) policy so that just in case they're missing something, they're not liable, KWIM?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Why are you going? I mean that sincerely because if hes seeing a GI, baby has some issues and one would hope that a doc would understand the importance of extended nursing with a baby that might have allergy/ GI issues 0 then again thats the ideal sitation, isn't it.
    If he's had blood levels tested, and they're fine and he is gaining, and meeting milestones you can just do your best to shake your head in this fashion ----> and do this

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I just don't talk about the breastfeeding. Maybe it's the chicken way out?
    And maybe it won't be an issue anyway.
    They don't gain so much as they did when they were wee little ones.

I had major issues with my lo. She even dropped weight a couple of times. Turns out she's gluten intolerant. I always ignored the 'stop breastfeeding' advice. Now she's a healthy, active 3 year old STILL breastfeeding and no longer an issue on the weight charts.

It will be ok. Just stay strong on the inside!

Thanks ladies for your words of encouragement.

I have kept a food diary for a few days just to give them an idea of what he eats on a good day and a bad day.

The reason for him going is that a) he was born with a malrotation (only diagnosed at 6 months and had an op b) he was screaming morning noon and night - diagnosed with allergies of soy and dairy and slow weight gain

She is a good doctor (one of the best in her field in this country) but her bedside manner leaves alot to be desired and she is not particularly sympathetic either - really strict. My DH is coming with me for support! I need him to back me up and help defend our position.

I will keep you posted on what she says today.

Thanks once again for your thoughts, it's good to know I am not the only one with a small LO. Thanks

do let us know how it goes down...
    I had a doctor like that when my dd had low iron. Only she was very wrong about breastfeeding and weaning ect...
    I had to figure things out on my own.
    andrea

Okay, so we went.

Not great news. He hasn't put any weight on. According to their charts he would be listed as acutely malnurished!

Now we have to start with two new supplements which are really expensive - it's not just the expense I just don't think he'll take them. One is a Formula based supplement (which supposedly tastes horrible) but I have to try it. They also said my breast feeding may be interfering with his eating - but that's complete rubbish - some days he eats really well as well as having his one bottle of EBM other days not so good. It's not like he BF's all day! and all night he has a feed before going to bed and when he wakes up (although I think that's more for comfort). So we have decided to just say "yes" and carry on with the BF - he is definately not ready to wean and neither am I.
    We spent time with the Nurtitionalist who says we are giving him nice fatty foods and to just keep trying. The fact that he is a happy healthy little person goes in his favour! But I feel so bad - acutely malnurished! What else can I do..... I figure he is what he is and he has the whole world to grow in. We have to go back in two months.

Any body else have these same issues. My son is also not growing in terms of his height either and is way off the charts for height to weight as well. Sigh.

I am determined to not let this get me down and to just carry on what we are doing, as I said he is healthy - just small!

Any words of encouragement would go down well right now.

Thanks

Did they talk about testing him for other allergies/intolerances?

My littlest one had weight gain issues but was healthy and happy. It turns out she has gluten intolerance but I would have NEVER guessed from how she acted/felt.

I don't think BF is the issue! But try adding the more fat to the food he does eat.